Did someone say sandwich or double decker bus? I get the feeling I sort of combined two in one here..but it was well worth it. Such a crunchy, creamy and texturized sandwich!
It combines so many yummy flavours – from spicy, to citrusy and tangy.. it is sure to leave your taste buds wanting more! I think the best part here is definitely the bread, and the tempeh (a plant based, protein substitute).
It is important that you buy a good quality bread – this stuff is baked fresh at our local organic shop, and it is the bomb + plant based – and it totally makes the sandwich that much better! I also suggest that you buy good Tempeh, there is nothing worse than cheap quality tempeh.. I am being serious. The rest of the ingredients are paired well, but they do not make or break the dish! Play around with what you know you like, and have fun with it! There are endless possibilities with sandwiches, so figure out what you like, what your palette enjoys and just GO WITH IT!
I hope you love this
Let us know if you try the recipe by leaving a comment below! We love hearing about your experiences with FoodByMaria’s recipes!
Love From Your Greek Food Goddess XOX
- 2 pieces of Tempeh, grilled for 5 minutes
- 1 tomato, sliced into thin pieces
- some cucumber slices
- 1/2 an avocado cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- a few pieces of spinach
- vegan mayo
- pickled onions (1/4 cup of red onions, and the juice of one lemon)
- Grilled Spicy Peaches (grilled sliced up peached for a few minutes and finish them off with some hot sauce)
- 2 pieces of Ancient Spelt Seed Bread (I did not toast mine)
- Have all of your ingredients and comdiments ready.
- Ie. have your pickled onions prepared by adding the onions, and lemon to a bowl and setting aside.
- Grill your tempeh for 5 minutes, and set aside.
- Grill your peaches for around 5 mintes, and finish with hot sauce, and set aside.
- Now get assembling!
- There is no perfect way to do this.
- My only suggestions are to put spinach on both the top and bottom or the sandwich to avoid the bread from becoming soggy, and make sure you are using a sharp knife when you go to cut it in half!