Brown Butter + Spice Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
1 hour 5 minutes
Nothing beats a yummy savory sweet potato casserole. It’s a classic dish that seriously never gets old. Most people have a recipe that has been passed on for generations, and with this recipe, I’ve taken a classic dish and just added an additional kick to it. The best part of this recipe is that you can switch up the sweet potatoes and use vegan yams, squash, or a mix of all three.
I’ve used a yummy winter warming spice blend that really is the icing on top of the cake with this savory sweet potato casserole, it’s so flavorful and delicious. Imagine something so buttery and sweet, but yet savory and salty, all coated in this delicious spice blend.
Here’s why you’ll love this savory sweet potato casserole:
- It’s sweet, savory, spicy, salty, tangy – it’s everything you need and satisfies all pallets!
- The spice blend is versatile and truly delicious
- The recipe itself is such a crowd pleaser but can also be used on veg like potato, yams, butternut squash, other root vegetables, or even with apple, leeks, and parsnips
What is Nature’s Way Immune Powder?
The not-so-secret ingredient in this vegan sweet potato casserole is Nature’s Way Immune Powder. This powder harnesses the benefits of six diverse mushrooms to support your immune function.* The mushrooms utilized in this powder are:
The most common ones that you’ll recognize from the list above are shiitake and chaga. Chaga is a superfood loaded with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients… Shiitake mushrooms have been known to boost your immunity, along with a long list of other benefits.* Mushrooms, in general, are full of nutrients and that’s why this Immune Powder is so great to add to any recipe in order to make sure that you keep your immunity up all winter.* You can also buy their Immune Blend in capsule form as well.
Feeling our best can be challenging during the winter months, so finding ingredients that can be added to savory dishes like this can help make sure you stay in tip-top shape all winter long. Most people only think of these sorts of powders to be added in hot drinks, but they can be great in a ton of different dishes like soups, stews, casseroles, etc.
What other vegetables can I use in this casserole?
If you aren’t a fan of sweet potatoes or want to get creative, you can make this recipe and utilize other root vegetables. One of my personal favs is turning this into a baked yams recipe. Yams are a different root vegetable and have more of a yucca texture and flavor. Their skin is tough and brown, almost like tree bark, and are more easily compared to white russet potatoes versus sweet potatoes.
I love making vegan yam recipes as well. My personal go-to is the sweet potatoes, but sometimes when I don’t have enough in my cupboard, I’ll do a nice mix of sweet potatoes, yams, or other root vegetables for a different twist on this dish.
Tips to make this vegan sweet potato casserole:
- Use a mandolin to cut the potatoes, this makes for more even cooking and it’s much much quicker! (Be careful though, those suckers are sharp!)
- Pre-make the spice blend to save time
- I like leaving the skin on the potatoes, just be sure to wash them well and dry before cutting
- Top with fresh aromatic herbs like thyme, sage, or rosemary for serving – this adds that perfect touch of green
- Be patient when baking and make sure to cook for at least one hour
- Get creative by using parsnips, white potatoes, or vegan yams for a unique twist on this dish
Other comforting meals to try this winter:
- Baked Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
- Cream of Mushroom Pot Pie
- Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Vegan Bean & Lentil Chili
- Best Baked Potato
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- For The Winter-Warming Spice Blend
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Nature’s Way Immune Blend
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. fine or coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or chilis
- NOTE: This spice blend makes approximately 6 servings.
- Method: Into a large jar or bowl combine all the ingredients shake or stir till well combined.
For the Sweet Potato Casserole:
- 1 1/2 large sweet potato thinly sliced, around 1/8 inch
- 3 tbsp. Winter-Warming Spice Blend
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp vegetable stock paste
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Into an 11x9x2 inch baking dish begin to place your halved sweet potato slices cut side down and arrange however you please. See photos for inspiration but you can do in lines, circles or zig-zag!
- Once your potatoes are arranged then dust with your Winter-Warming Spice Blend, coat evenly. Into the hot water combine your dijon and vegetable stock paste. Stir till combined. Pour this mixture over your potatoes evenly. Dollop 3 tbsp. of vegan butter over your potatoes and cover with fin foil. Bake in the oven covered for 30 minutes and for 35-45 minutes uncovered. A beautiful bubbly glaze with start to develop so be sure not to let it burn. Every oven is different so watch this closely to ensure no overcooking happens.
- Enjoy with your favourites vegetables, salads, grains or roasts.
This is the BEST and easiest baked yam recipe. The flavours are amazing and everyone in the family loved it!
so glad you loved this hun!
Where can I find the warming blend? Is it a spice
Nope! It’s homemade, I outline the exact ingredients in the recipe!
So delicious and easy to whip up! My entire family requests I make this now for every gathering. So warm and so much flavour!!
Isn’t it just fricking insane! I love this dish so much!
this dish was very delish .. I added grated vegan cheese on top of the potatoes… and it tasted amazing.
yes!!! This makes me so happy, thanks Mary!
Incredibly delicious and easy to make. It is worth the cooking time! I’ll definitely be making this a winter staple.
Thank you so much for the love!
Amazing cookies! Chewy, rich, brownie-like—- little circles of Christmas joy! Enjoyed my non-vegans as well! I rolled some in crushed peppermint candy canes and that was yummy too! Every recipe is always a winner, packed with flavor and thought put into every ingredient.
Thank you so much for the love, Karisa!
Definitely tried this out because of the beautifully taken photo. Roasting recipes are great when I’m too lazy to full on prepare and cook something, and this recipe was so delicious! The crunchy, soft, savory, and sweet all blended together wonderfully. The mandoline slices is really what made the recipe unique. I am definitely trying that with different veggies next time.
This makes me so happy, David! So glad you enjoyed this dish!
So delicious. I modified it a bit this time around but gonna do it the full version again and can’t wait to try it!
Thanks so much for the love, hun!
My boyfriend, Erin, made this for me this weekend and it blew my mind! Thanks for this awesome recipe!
This makes me so happy, Stephanie! Thank you!
This was such a delicious and simple recipe! I loved making it. Thanks for the tip about the brown sugar!
It’s really game-changing, so glad you guys enjoyed this!
Perfect side dish for a cozy winter meal!
So glad you loved this dish, Megan! Thanks so much for the love!
Could you give an idea which main dish can I eat with?
Any of the main dish recipes on our blog! Your choice of protein and maybe our Fresh Cucumber Salad!