- For the Stuffing:
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, any kind, finely chopped
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- season to taste
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely sage, roughly chopped
- 3 cups stale sourdough bread, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces + 3 tbsp. topping
- 1/2 cup veggie stock
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 1/2 Tbsp water)
- garnish with fresh thyme and more sage
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Into a 10 inch cast iron skillet (or frying pan) add your olive oil and butter. Melt on medium heat.
- Add your mushrooms and cook down, on medium heat, for around 2-3 minutes. Add in your onions, celery, carrot and garlic and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Stir often to avoid burning. You want your veggies to be soft but your celery to still have some crunch!
- Add your seasoning, veggie stock cube, thyme and sage. Stir mixture till your veggie stock cube has broken up and is evenly distributed.
- Now add in your bread, pecans, veggie stock and flax egg. Stir till well combined.
- Top with your remaining pecans and fresh herbs like thyme and sage!
- Cook for 40-45 or until golden brown and fragrant!
- Enjoy with Christmas Dinner or as a Sunday Side!