- 2 flax eggs (1 flax egg is 1 tbsp of chia or flax seeds, and 3 tbsp of water – let it sit for 10 minutes)
- 2 medium courgettes – grated
- 1 medium white onion – grated
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 gloves of garlic – grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup of sprouted seed bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp of spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast – this is where you can add parm or feta!
- 4 tbsp of EVOO
- 1 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- Into a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients (only 1 tbsp of EVOO)
- I used my hands to mix and combine everything really well (if you don’t find the mixture “sticky” enough add more flour, but this ratio should be perfect!)
- To a large pan add 1.5 tbsp of EVOO, set it at high heat and let it warm up (you want it hot so that the cakes don’t over absorb the oil, and go nice and crispy instead of mushy!)
- Now, using my hands I moulded the mixture into small little pancake like cakes
- Add about half the mixture to the hot pan cook on each side for around 3 minutes, you’ll know they are ready to flip with the sides begin to look golden and brown- hint** they shouldn’t be hard to flip!
- Repeat by adding the rest of the oil, and the remainder of the mixture!
- This made us around 18 but that is a seriously rough estimate because I can’t remember how many I shoved into my mouth before taking this picture!