I stumbled on a traditional Vegan Zuppa Toscana and decided to try out my own vegan version. This soup is warm, hearty, and super easy to make.
- 2 field roast Italian sausAges
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large of cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable stock paste
- 3 large russet potatoes scrubbed, rinsed and cubed – cut evenly
- season to taste
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes optional — adjust to your taste
- enough water to cover the potatoes (around 4-5 cups)
- 1 can coconut milk or oat milk
- 3 cups chopped kale hard stems removed – can also use spinach or fresh green chard
- garnish with fresh lemon and vegan parmesan
- Break up the sausage using your hands, then fry the sausage in a deep pan medium-high heat while stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. When browned (around 5-6 minutes) remove sausage and place onto a plate.
- Add your olive to the pot and heat on medium-high for around 20 seconds before adding the onion. Cook until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- OPTIONAL: Add your white wine of choice and let it reduce to half (about 2 minutes).
- Increase the heat to high, add vegetable stock paste, potatoes, seasoning and herbs and cook for around 5 minutes until potatoes are fully coated. Add enough water just to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the coconut or oat milk, cooked sausage, and kale. Let simmer for 2 minutes, until kale leaves have softened.
- Serve hot with vegan parmesan and a dash of lemon!
Keywords: Soup, Vegan , Zuppa Toscana