Hey everyone and welcome to the perfect excuse for me to make pasta AGAIN! I will be making the best carb loading meal for your next Marathon or outdoor activity! It’s super healthy, won’t require that “detox” and certainly doesn’t skip short on texture and bold taste.
Photograph above (@cakeyyc) is a picture of that ingredients you will need to pull off this simple recipe. Yep, thats it, just those ingredients!
I know this dish will inspire all of you to use more natural food and eat more organic food in your everyday recipes (or even in your everyday plant based recipes). I mean it’s crazy how much added flavour a simple onion can add to your dish; it really doesn’t have to be complicated to be good!
Just me being tortured by the cute ass photographer as I wait patiently to shove all this into my mouth.
I should probably also add that I am rocki’ lululemon Calgary in this photo! Thank you guys for the kick ass time we had eating pasta at 10 am on a Friday morning.
I GIVE THIS RECIPE A BIG THUMBS UP!
Whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian or meat eater I know you will love this carb loading dish!
This Walnut Pesto Carb Loading Pasta is:
- Nourishing + Nutrient Dense
- Creamy without the dairy
- Comforting + satisfying
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! As always if you try the recipe please leave us a comment below, we love your feedback!
Love from Your Greek Food Goddess XOX
- 1/2 packet of your favourite spaghetti
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly chopped
- For the Pesto:
- 1 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a large lemon
- 3 heaped cups of fresh spinach
- 1 large bunch of asparagus – remove tough ends
- To a large pot add water and bring to a boil. Add your spaghetti and cook as instructed. NOTE: 5 minutes before your pasta is ready add your asparagus. Don’t over cook it, you still want that gorgeous crunch.
- In the mean time prepare your onions by adding olive oil to a medium sized pan. Let the oil heat up for 30 seconds, then add your thinly chopped onion. Sweat this down for around 5 minutes, make sure you stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Into a food processor add your pesto ingredients and blend for around 45 seconds to a minute.
- Transfer this mixture to your onions and continue to cook on low heat for another 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Strain your pasta but keep 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add your pasta and cooking liquid to the pan with the onions and pesto.
- ** at this point your mouth is salivating because it smells so damn good **
- Add your spinach and stir till wilted and gorgeous.
- Serve immediately and garnish with a squeeze of lemon and pepper.