Nothing beats a yummy sweet potato casserole. It’s a classic dish that seriously never gets old. Most people have a recipe that has been passed on for generations, and with this recipe, I’ve taken a classic dish and just added an additional kick to it.
I’ve used a yummy winter warming spice blend that really is the icing on top of the cake with this casserole, it’s so flavourful and delicious. Imagine something so buttery and sweet, but yet savoury and salty, all coated in this delicious spice blend.
Here’s why you’ll love this sweet potato casserole
- It’s sweet, savoury, spicy, salty, tangy – it’s everything you need and satisfies all pallets!
- The spice blend is versatile and truly delicious
- The recipe itself it such a crowd pleaser but can also be used on veg like potato, butternut squash, other root vegetables, or even with apple, leeks and parsnips
Nature’s Way Immune Powder
The not-so-secret ingredient in this casserole is Nature’s Way Immune Powder. This powder harnesses the benefits of six diverse mushrooms to support your immune function.* The mushrooms utilized in this powder are:
The most common ones that you’ll recognize from the list above are shiitake and chaga. Chaga is a superfood loaded with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and nutrients.. Shiitake mushrooms have been known to boost your immunity, along with a long list of other benefits.* Mushrooms, in general, are full of nutrients and that’s why this Immune Powder is so great to add to any recipe in order to make sure that you keep your immunity up all winter.* You can also buy their Immune Blend in capsule form as well.
Feeling our best can be challenging during the winter months, so finding ingredients that can be added to savoury dishes like this can help make sure you stay in tip-top shape all winter long. Most people only think of these sorts of powders to be added in hot drinks, but they can be great in a ton of different dishes like soups, stews, casseroles, etc.
Tips to make this sweet potato casserole
- Use a mandolin to cut the potatoes, this makes for more even cooking and it’s much much quicker! (Be careful though, those suckers are sharp!)
- Pre-make the spice blend to save time
- I like leaving the skin on the potatoes, just be sure to wash them well and dry before cutting
- Top with fresh aromatic herbs like thyme, sage or rosemary for serving – this adds that perfect touch of green
- Be patient when baking and make sure to cook for at least one hour
Other comforting meals to try this winter
For The Winter-Warming Spice Blend
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Nature’s Way Immune Blend
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. fine or coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or chilis
NOTE: This spice blend makes approximately 6 servings.
Method: Into a large jar or bowl combine all the ingredients, shake or stir till well combined.
For the Sweet Potato Casserole:
- 1 1/2 large sweet potato, thinly sliced, around 1/8 inch
- 3 tbsp. Winter-Warming Spice Blend
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp vegetable stock paste
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
Preheat oven to 425F.
Into an 11x9x2 inch baking dish begin to place your halved sweet potato slices cut side down and arrange however you please. See photos for inspiration but you can do in lines, circles or zig-zag!
Once your potatoes are arranged then dust with your Winter-Warming Spice Blend, coat evenly. Into the hot water combine your dijon and vegetable stock paste. Stir till combined. Pour this mixture over your potatoes evenly. Dollop 3 tbsp. of vegan butter over your potatoes and cover with fin foil. Bake in the oven covered for 30 minutes and for 35-45 minutes uncovered. A beautiful bubbly glaze with start to develop so be sure not to let it burn. Every oven is different so watch this closely to ensure no overcooking happens.
Enjoy with your favourites vegetables, salads, grains or roasts.
This spice rub is delicious, great for roasting veggies, tofu, beans and more! If you’re not vegan you can also try this spice blend on your choice of protein but I highly suggest trying with veggies for that added flavour and caramelization.