Does anyone love curry as much as I do? It’s so easy to make but NEVER falls short of bold flavor. This vegan one-pot green lentil curry is exactly that. It’s creamy, full of flavor you love in a curry, but still healthy and only takes 50-minutes to make. I think you’re really going to love this recipe for wintertime. It’ll warm you up on a cold day, and your whole family will love it!
Why you’ll love this green lentil curry:
- Quick: This green lentil recipe takes less than an hour to make
- Protein-Packed: This green lentil recipe is packed with protein from the green lentils which make it a filling and hearty meal
- One-Pot: Mess-free and made in only one-pot. You can even make this recipe in an instant pot if you wish
- Vegan-friendly: Vegan-friendly and perfect for anyone in your family with dairy allergies
- Super flavorful: If there is one thing curry should be, it’s flavorful. This lentil curry does not fall short
Ingredient Notes :
Green Lentils: Low in sodium and saturated fat but high in potassium, fiber, folate, and antioxidants, lentils are truly a magical legume, especially for a plant-based diet in need of protein. This lentil curry recipe is loaded with flavor but also the health benefits of green lentils. For this green lentil recipe, I used green lentils, but as you might know, there are so many types of lentils out there that can be really overwhelming. Lentils are an inexpensive way to get a wide range of nutrients.
How do you make curry with green lentils?
People always think curries must be hard to make because there is so much flavor in them, but you’re in luck, they aren’t! This green lentil recipe is simple and can be made in just a few steps. Here’s how you do it:
- Heat a large pot on medium heat before adding the coconut oil. Heat for 30 seconds then sauté the ginger, onion and garlic
- Sweat it out for around 5- 6 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning or heavy browning
- To the pot, add the green curry paste, coconut milk, turmeric, curry powder, seasoning, green lentils, soy sauce and brown sugar
- Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes
- At the last minute, add in the lime juice and cook for another few minutes
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime on a bed of hot rice or rice noodles
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Lentils: You can use your fav lentils or legume in this recipe but I find green lentils end up with the best consistency. However, get creative and try other things. Chickpeas can be great too!
Freezing: Pack green lentil curry in sealed containers when cooled and store in your freezer for quick and easy meal prep.
Gluten-Free: To make this green lentil recipe gluten-free use tamari instead of soy sauce.
Curry Paste: I prefer traditional green curry paste from a Thai grocery market for the most flavor in my green lentil curry.
Other recipes you’ll love:
One-Pot Green Lentil Curry
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves pressed
- 4 tbsp. store bought green curry paste
- 2 cans of whole fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- season to taste
- 1 can of green lentils washed and drained
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- juice of half a lime
- serve with: more lime and fresh cilantro
- Heat a large pot on medium heat before adding the coconut oil. Heat for 30 seconds then sautee the ginger, onion and garlic. Sweat it out for around 5- 6 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning or heavy browning.
- To the pot, add the green curry paste, coconut milk, turmeric, curry powder, seasoning, lentils, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- At the last minute, add in the lime juice and cook for another few minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime on a bed of hot rice or rice noodles.