- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium white sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 5 inch lemongrass stalks, bash the stocks lightly to release flavour
- 1 tsp. vegetable stock paste
- 2 heaped tbsp. green curry paste
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- season to taste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, save a bit for garnish
Into a large soup pot add your coconut oil and heat for 20-30 seconds on medium-low heat before adding your white onion. Sweat this out for around 5 minutes. Stir often to avoid burning.
Now add your garlic, ginger, jalapeno, lemongrass, vegetable stock paste and green curry paste. I let this cook for 3-5 minutes. The longer you let them cook, the more fragrant the soup. Now add your butternut squash, turn heat to low and pop the lid on for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender.
Remove lid, increase heat to high and add desired seasoning to taste, coconut milk, water and tofu. Stir till everyone is well combined and then bring mixture to a boil.
Serve this soup hot with fresh cilantro, lime and jalapeños on a bed of cooked rice or quinoa.
Keywords: coconut soup, plant based, rice, thai food, vegan