Apple + cinnamon is probably one of the most comforting combinations, and one of the best smells. These apple cinnamon waffles are perfect for a vegetarian and gluten-free breakfast. I love making these on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I have a little bit of extra time in my day and can really slowdown and enjoy a delicious, comforting breakfast.
Why you’ll love these apple cinnamon waffles:
- Comforting flavors: Apple and cinnamon are such a comforting and warming flavor that make these waffles the ultimate comfort food
- Vegetarian: Since this recipe is made with honey, these waffles are vegetarian. If you are looking for a plant-based version, you can substitute honey for agave but I love these with creamed honey
- Gluten-Free: If you make this recipe with oat flour or gluten-free flour, you’ll have GF waffles that are delicious and safe for those with dietary restrictions
- Versatile: Not a fan of apples? Swap them out for your favorite fruit or berry. This recipe can even be made without apples and only cinnamon. Get creative and make them your own!
Apples: This is totally adaptable. Have fun with the fruits you love such as berries, peaches, or even bananas. Different apple varieties will also add different flavor to this recipe.
Oat Flour: Oat flour is such an amazing ingredient to utilize in baking or cooking. Oat flour is packed with antioxidants and has more protein and fat (the good kind) than most traditional flours. Per half-cup serving it holds 8g of fiber alongside a long list of other nutritional benefits.
Creamed Honey: I used Bee Maid Honey’s Creamed Honey within this recipe. Creamed honey is made by adding crystallized honey to liquefied raw honey and mixing it until it’s nice a smooth, and creamy. It seriously melts in your mouth and is so perfect for recipes or to eat in any way your heart desires. Bee Maid Honey is also a Canadian company and provides 100% pure products that are so delicious!
How to make apple cinnamon waffles:
This recipe is simple to make and will only take 25-minutes. Here’s how you do it:
For the Apples:
Add the ingredients for the apples into a medium-sized sauce pan and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Stirring often to avoid burning. Prepare waffles in the meantime.
For the apple cinnamon waffles:
Step One: Preheat your waffle maker/iron.
Step Two: Add all your ingredients for the waffles into a high-speed blender and blend till smooth. You want the batter to be pourable. Not too runny, not too thick.
Step Three: Lightly grease your preheated waffle maker and pour the batter into each waffle mold. Proceed as per manufacturer directions.
Step Four: Cook until there seems to be no steam leaving the waffle iron. Repeat till you’ve used all the batter.
Step Five: Once cooked, serve waffles with a generous serving of apples! Enjoy!
What kind of apples should I use? Use whatever you have on hand. Granny smith are more tart and will balance out the sweetness, honey crisp is extremely versatile and works in just about any recipe, and fuji will hold their shape once cooked or baked.
Can I make these into pancakes? Yes! These can easily be cooked like pancakes. Pour your desired amount of batter to shape a pancake and cook till bubbly or around 2 minutes on each side.
Can you freeze waffles? Yes! Arrange your waffles on a baking sheet and freeze them until hard (this will help them not all sticking together in a bag). Once frozen, remove the tray and put the waffles into a freezer bag or tightly sealed container. These will keep for several months.
Other breakfast recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Healthy Breakfast Oats
- Vegetarian Breakfast Pizza
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Apple Cinnamon Waffles with Honey (Gluten-Free & Vegetarian)
For the Waffles:
For the Apples:
- 1 tbsp. vegan butter or regular butter of choice
- 1/4 cup creamed honey
- 2 medium-sized apples thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- dash of sea salt
For the Apples:
- Add the ingredients for the apples into a medium-sized sauce pan and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Stirring often to avoid burning. Prepare waffles in the meantime.
For the waffles:
- Preheat your waffle maker/iron.
- Add all your ingredients for the waffles into a high-speed blender and blend till smooth. You want the batter to be pourable. Not too runny, not too thick.
- Lightly grease your preheated waffle maker and pour the batter into each waffle mold. Proceed as per manufacturer directions.
- Cook until there seems to be no steam leaving the waffle iron. Repeat till you've used all the batter.
- Once cooked, serve waffles with a generous serving of apples! Enjoy!