You know this girl loves her Greek food and this Simple Homemade Greek Salad is an authentic, delicious salad made like a Greek salad right from your ancestor’s village… okay but, with a FoodByMaria twist of course.
This salad is loaded with all those fresh veggies you love, topped with a snap from the Quick Pickled Onions, and a creamy, lemon dressing. I promise you’ll love it.
Why you’ll love this Simple Homemade Greek Salad:
- Loaded with fresh veggies
- Tastes authentic and delicious
- Topped with Quick Pickled Onions for more flavor
- Can be made with 10 simple ingredients
- Made in under 15 minutes
How do you make this Simple Greek Salad?
This vegan recipe doesn’t get much easier than this. You’ll want to do the following to whip up this masterpiece:
Make the dressing
To make this dressing, it’ll only take you about 5 minutes and you can store it to use for future salads. This homemade dressing really will make this salad. Don’t take the lazy way out and go buy store-bought Greek dressing. It is not authentic, and less healthy for you. Plus, this dressing is so easy you have no excuse. All you do is:
- To a medium-sized mason jar add all the ingredients and shake till well combined
- Use immediately and store it in the fridge for at least 10 days
Head to the notes of this recipe below to learn how to make the Viral Greek Salad, which has a fun hack from Greek Grandmothers from all over the world.
Make the Quick Pickled Onions
These onions really take the salad to the next level and are so much better (in my opinion) than just using raw, simple red onions. Don’t get turned off by the word “pickled” because these don’t take that long to whip together and you won’t be waiting months for them to set in their jars. All you do is:
- Combine all your ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and gently stir
- Let the ingredients sit for at least 1 hour and max 3 days before eating
You can use these onions on a lot of things like tacos, gyros, pulled pork, etc.
Make the Simple Homemade Greek Salad
Now for the grand finale and the easiest part. All you have to do here is combine all the ingredients listed in this recipe below in a bowl and mix them together while drizzling your lemon dressing on top. This isn’t a trick. It’s really that easy to make. This salad will go perfectly with your next BBQ, pot luck, as a side, or the main course. Enjoy!
Other Greek-inspired recipes you’ll love:
- Greek Meatballs with Whipped Feta & Creamy Orzo
- Greek Pastitsio Recipe
- Greek Lemon Rice Soup
- Greek-Style Vegan Spinach Pie
- Easy Vegan Moussaka
All images are done in collaboration with Extra For Avocado
Simple Homemade Greek Salad
- 2 large tomatoes cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large cucumber halved and chopped
- 1 large fresh pepper chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 small/medium-sized red onion pickled (optional)
- 1/4 cup assorted olives
- 1/4 cup vegan or traditional feta cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- a handful of fresh oregano optional
- 4 tbsp Greek Salad Dressing
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper optional
- Simply add all your ingredients to a large mixing bowl and gently combine while drizzling the beautiful dressing on top of the salad. See notes below for my take on the Viral Greek Salad trend!
- If you are not using fresh oregano, then add 1 tbsp. dried oregano to the salad
- How to make this the Viral Greek Salad way:
- Add 150g feta to a large bowl along with 4 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and juice of one lemon. Use a fork, whisk or masher to mash/whisk/stir all together.
- Add in all of the vegetables (tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, olives) along with dried oregano, salt and pepper. Toss together to combine.
- Top the salad with a 100-150g block of feta or crumbled feta and one more drizzle of olive oil.