Did you ever think a salad could change your life? Well, this spicy Thai sunflower noodle salad might do just that! All you need is 20 minutes, your favourite veggies, and a jar full of the most amazing sunflower seed butter ever. Talk about the ultimate time saver and healthy plant-based eating on the go! Like I said, LIFE CHANGING!!
Not Your Average Salad
Salads have come a long way from the average oil and vinegar dressing on a bed of leafy greens. People are digging the mix of fresh and raw veggies tossed in flavourful sauces, topped with pretty much anything you can think of. Even fast food restaurants are getting on the salad train because that’s what the people want! You won’t find this salad recipe on any fast food menu but it is super easy to make and customizable, so you can have it your way.
For this recipe I used noodles but you can easily sub them out for quinoa, udon, spaghetti noodles, orzo, rice, seriously the options are endless. Don’t overthink it or be afraid to mix it up, it’s all about quick and easy. Same goes for the veggies, use what you have in the fridge and try different combos.
No Nuts Here
Finally, a dressing inspired by a traditional peanut Thai sauce without the peanuts! For this spicy sauce, I used Sunbutter Natural Sunflower Butter. This seed butter is made from roasted sunflower seeds grown in the US and is not only peanut free but also free from all of the top 8 food allergens. This means you can pack this salad for your kid’s school lunches! A few more reasons to try this butter:
- 7g of protein per serving
- More vitamins and minerals than nut butter
- 45% of the US recommended daily allowance of Vitamin E
- No trans fat
Sauce For Days
I’m going to let you in on a little secret, you’re going to want to double this dressing recipe– trust me! It is so easy to make and you’ll want to put it on everything. If spice isn’t your thing you can use regular sesame oil and omit the chili oil. Keep this dressing in a jar in your fridge for up to to a week and use it for dipping, spreading, and saucing up all the things.
Before you know it you will be adding this dressing to all your wraps, sandwiches, and dipping every veggie and pot sticker in sight. For a little more inspiration give one of these recipes a try with your new favorite sauce:
Check out the recipe below and don’t forget to let me know what you think over at @foodbymaria and below in the comments! Tag #foodbymaria and #fearnotfoodisyourfriend so I can see all your beautiful recreations.
Spicy Thai Sunflower Noodle Salad - Allergen Free!
For the dressing:
- 3 servings of cooked noodles of choice I tried them all, and it works with any!
- 2 cups cabbage thinly chopped
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro thinly chopped
- 1/2 cup basil whole or roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. sesame seeds
- For the dressing, simply add all the ingredients into a mason jar and shake till well combined. Set in fridge while you combine your salad.
- To prepare the salad simply combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir using tongs or hands! Drizzle over the dressing and enjoy.
- Great with choice or protein and a fresh leafy greens salad!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Sunbutter