Can we just talk about how fantastic chia seeds are? First off, they’re loaded with nutrients including giber, protein, omega-3s, calcium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and the list goes on with the vitamins they’re jammed with too. These itty bitty seeds have so much to them. On top of that long list, they also are full of antioxidants, almost all the carbs in them are fiber, they can assist in lowering your risk of heart disease and blood sugar levels, and the best part is that they’re vegan and super easy to incorporate into your diet! You can throw them into smoothies or drinks, sprinkle them on your recipes or salads, make chia pudding, and the list goes on.
For this vegan recipe I used Bob’s Red Mill’s chia seeds which are completely organic. I mixed the goodness of chia seeds with the magic of ginger and turmeric to make a healthy tonic that will last in your fridge for up to five days. Although this may take away from the healthiness of the recipe, you can also add booze to this recipe to make for a delicious cocktail.
The ginger and turmeric in this recipe make it not only nourishing but an anti-inflammatory. Ginger has powerful medicinal properties that help with belly aches, nausea and more. It can help with indigestion, can lower your cholesterol and can help fight infections. The list for how great ginger is can seriously go on forever. Turmeric is also pretty similar, and it’s even been shown to help lower depression symptoms and help delay aging. These super power ingredients are ones that you should try and incorporate into your diet daily and it’s really easy to do so with this simple vegan recipe!
Turmeric Ginger Chia Tonic
- 1 bulb of ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. tumeric powder
- 1 apple - quartered
- 7 carrots - roughly chopped
- dash of maple syrup
- 740 ml filtered water
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds - I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup soda water
- 1 oz. alcohol - optional!
- Add all your ingredients to a high speed blender and blend till completely smooth. Can take up to 2 minutes.
- Test by checking consistency of the liquid. If the mixture is not grainy then are ready for the next step.
- Run your milk through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Save your pulp veggie/fruit pulp for smoothies.
- Add your Chia Seeds to the base of your storage bottle and enjoy!
- If you're adding alcohol then add a cup of soda, 1/4 of the juice, your liquor or choice and ice!
Pin the below image to save this recipe for later!