These banana bread muffins are so delicious. Made with yummy bananas we love, and perfect for an on-the-go snack or breakfast.
Most people grew up on banana bread and banana muffins. Everyone has a grandmother or mom who whipped some sort of banana bread up with their leftover bananas for the whole family to enjoy. Nothing beats banana bread! It’s so damn comforting and I haven’t met a soul who doesn’t like it. These banana bread muffins are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast, a lunchtime snack, or to pack in your gym bag for a little fuel pre- or post-workout.
❤️ Why You’ll Love Banana Bread Muffins
- Easy: Banana muffins should never be complicated. This recipe takes only 30 minutes to make
- Tasty: These muffins are so delicious that I bet you can’t eat just one! They go perfectly with your morning tea or coffee
- Convenient: They can be perfect for when you’re on-the-go, or to throw in a lunch for a snack
- Freezer-Friendly: Make a batch and freeze some to quickly thaw when you are ready for some more or have a busy day ahead
Bananas: The best bananas for baking are super ripe ones, like the more brown spots the better. You can also use ones that have gone brown that you’ve frozen, just thaw them out and mash them up. They’ll look bad, but they aren’t!
I made this banana muffin recipe with my friends at Chiquita because I love their bananas, and I don’t just love them, they’re the world’s most loved. For more than 100 years they’ve been producing the best bananas and delivering them around the world. You’re lying if you don’t remember growing up with Miss Chiquita in your home. Bananas themselves also have so many health benefits, and they’re a fruit that you can always, without a doubt find in your grocery store (which hey, that can be hard in Canada during the winter months). Some of those benefits are:
- One of the best fruit sources for vitamin B6
- One medium banana will provide you with 10% of your daily vitamin C needs
- They are loaded with potassium
- Can help aid digestion
- They give you energy
Flours: I use both all-purpose flour and almond flour. They both bring different textures to this recipe, and the almond flour brings great health benefits like monounsaturated fat, which can help keep cholesterol under control.
Eggs: Egg replacement is my go-to for baking as a vegan. However, you can also make a flax egg or if you aren’t vegan, you can use a regular egg.
👩🍳 How to Make Banana Bread Muffins
🗒 Tips & Tricks
- Can I swap out coconut oil? Yes, you can use vegan or regular butter instead of coconut oil
- Bananas: I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, use super ripe bananas. They will look like they’ve gone bad but this is the perfect way to use them up versus throwing them out
- Egg replacement: If you aren’t vegan, you can use egg. If you are, you can make a flax egg, or 1/4 cup apple sauce (per egg)
🍌 Other Banana Recipes
👝 How to Store Leftovers
Store in an airtight container on your counter. To freeze, layer parchment paper in between layers of muffins in a tightly sealed container.
🤔 Common Questions
I find adding both almond flour and all-purpose helps make them nice and fluffy. It’s perfectly dense but also airy.
Most muffin recipes call for butter of some sort and egg. You’ll need to use an egg replacement or a flax egg in place of the real eggs and swap out the butter for a vegan alternative. If the recipe calls for milk, you can use any plant-based milk option.
Banana Bread Muffins 🍌
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Lightly coat 10 muffin tin liners with coconut oil spray.
- Into a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash your bananas with a fork. Whisk in the melted oil or butter, brown sugar egg replacement, vanilla and almond milk.
- Add the flour mixture to banana mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to well combine. You can now dollop equal amounts of batter into 1o muffin cups. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F and then for 15 minutes at for 350F.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan and remove and cool completely on wire rack. Serve with vegan butter!