Looking for a comforting meal that will warm you from the inside out while delivering the best creaminess, and healthy goodness you need to fuel your body throughout the day? Look no further than these lentils with spinach and artichokes.
Why you’ll love this lentil with spinach recipe:
- It’s loaded with fiber and protein
- It is creamy and flavorful
- Soak up the health benefits of spinach
- Make it only 40-minutes
What are the health benefits of lentils?
Lentils are a great addition to any vegan or vegetarian recipe. They add a ton of protein and fiber that keeps your full (and regular). Because of their high protein content, this means they are a great meat alternative in your diet. Bonus that they are inexpensive and super versatile to throw in any recipe, whether pasta sauce, salads, or this lentils with spinach recipe. Lentils are also packed with B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, and potassium, and are a fantastic source of iron. Iron is often hard to get enough of when you’re vegan and vegetarian so eating foods like spinach and lentils that are rich in it definitely helps.
How do you make lentils with spinach?
This recipe is simple, here is how you make it:
- Heat a large pot on medium-low heat and melt the plant butter for 30 seconds before adding the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pot
- Cook for at least 5 minutes or until the vegetable are a bit browned and the onions are translucent
- Increase heat to high for 30 seconds before adding the wine. Stir everything till well combined and let the wine completely reduce/evaporate
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the lentils. Stir well before adding the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Put the lid on and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes
- To the pot, add the half and half or cashew cream and spinach and stir till well combined. Cook for another 5 minutes or until everything is beautiful, fragrant and creamy
- Serve with a splash of red wine vinegar, olive oil, a bit more salt and parsley
For this recipe, I used one of my go-to kitchen staples, and that’s Califia Farms Plant Butter. If you are vegan, you’ll understand the difficulty in finding the perfect plant butter that is versatile to cook with, bake with, or spread. What’s I love about this plant butter is that it’s made from REAL food like cashews, tiger nuts, nutritional yeast, avocado oil or olive oil. The ingredients are amazing, but you also get that creamy butter-like taste that does all the things you need butter to do (bake, cook, melt, spread). These products stay clear from palm and canola oils and provide that yummy taste you’ll love with the use of whole foods, versus just fat like regular non-vegan butter.
Voila. This recipe is done and ready to enjoy! I promise you’re going to love it, but please let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other vegan recipes you’ll love:
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Creamy Tomato & Garlic Pasta
- Vegan Baked Potato Soup
- Easy Vegan Pot Pies
- Brown Butter Vegan Meatballs with Creamy Mashed Potatoes
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Creamy Vegan Lentils with Spinach
- 3 tbsp. Califia Plant Butter
- 1 medium-sized white onion finely chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped carrot
- 1 cup roughly chopped celery stalk
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 white wine
- 3 cups cooked black lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan half and half or cashew cream
- 4 cups fresh spinach tightly packed
- serve with red wine vinegar olive oil and parsley
- Heat a large pot on medium-low heat and melt the plant butter for 30 seconds before adding the onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pot. Cook for at least 5 minutes or until the vegetable are a bit browned and the onions are translucent.
- Increase heat to high for 30 seconds before adding the wine. Stir everything till well combined and let the wine completely reduce/evaporate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the lentils. Stir well before adding the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leafs. Put the lid on and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- To the pot, add the half and half or cashew cream and spinach and stir till well combined. Cook for another 5 minutes or until everything is beautiful, fragrant and creamy.
- Serve with a splash of red wine vinegar, olive oil, a bit more salt and parsley.