Appetizers + Side Dishes
One Pot Quick & Easy Plant Based Baked Beans
When I think of comfort food, I think of baked beans, and this is one of my favourite BBQ recipes that are quick & easy, plus plant based.
For this easy one pot baked bean recipe, I teamed up with my friends at Patience Fruit and Co. which has been one of my go-to brands in my kitchen lately. Their juices are great for adding a twist of flavor in BBQ recipes like this one, and beyond.
What I love about this recipe is that you can make it up in one pot, and it makes a bunch that’s perfect as a side next to BBQ tofu, grilled vegetables, rice, pickled cabbage, or whatever you really want. These are incredibly versatile, and of course, quick & easy. The best part is when you’re cooking them up, they smell so friggin’ good! The smell is super smoky and it’ll smell like the delicious scent of BBQ right in your kitchen.
Patience Fruit and Co.
Patience Fruit and Co. has a variety of products available that are fruity, delicious, organic, and some of my favs. Their vegan product lines include:
- Active Blends which are loaded with whole nuts, grains, and dried cranberries. These trail mixes are perfect when you live a busy life and need to snack on something healthy to boost your energy and get you through the day.
- Their Chococrunch Bites are perfect for anyone who has a bit of a sweet tooth but they still want to eat healthy. These are made with Cranflakes, their crunchy dried cranberry flakes with no added sugar. They’re so delicious!
- Of course, they also sell their more traditional line of products like their fresh cranberries, whole dried berries, and their classic line of naturally sweetened, halved, and dried, cranberries.
On top of these great products, Patience Fruit and Co. sells a line of plant based juices which are completely organic, flavourful, and perfect for recipes, or to make your favourite cocktail. For this recipe, I used their cranberry juice. This juice is made with at least 620 cranberries, and is super great to add some flavor into a quick & easy recipe like these one pot baked beans, or other BBQ recipes.
Cranberries, and beans, both glorious fruits
Cranberries are great for more than just bladder infections which we often put them hand-in-hand with. These magical, often overshadowed, berries, are loaded with nutrients that your body loves and needs. Some of their magic is:
- They are low in calories, and high in vitamin C, A and K, all of which aids in a healthy, happy body.
- They also contain proanthocyanidins (PACs) which are an antioxidant that helps prevent a range of diseases.
That’s why adding a splash of cranberry juice to recipes like this one pot baked beans recipe, or even sauces or dressings, can really help you get the nutrients and vitamins your body craves.
Combine the goodness of the cranberries with the navy beans I used for this recipe, it makes the recipe loaded with protein, filling, comforting, and one of my favourite BBQ recipes for the summer, or when I need a comforting meal in the winter. Plus, with the smoky flavor from the liquid smoke and smoke paprika, this recipe is sure to impress even your non plant based friends and family with its full bodied, delicious flavor.
Check out some of my fav vegan bean recipes below:
- Vegan Grits, Creamy Beans & Collards
- Plant Based Refried Beans & Avocado Tacos
- Spicy Curried Beans & Vermicelli Noodle Bowl
One Pot Quick & Easy Plant Based Baked Beans
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup white sweet onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 cans 398mL red kidney beans, washed and strained
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. vegan worchestershire
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. dash liquid smoke
- season to taste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice - I used Patience and Fruit Co.
- Heat a medium sized pot on low heat and add olive oil. Heat for 30 seconds before adding onions and cooking for 5 minutes stirring often. Add your garlic and stir. Cook for 3 minutes before adding beans and the remaining ingredients apart from the cranberry juice. Increase heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, allowing the flavours and ingredients to marry. Increase heat to high, add cranberry juice, cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil then simmer for 25-28 minutes on low.
- You want the mixture to be thick but not clumpy. Your house will smell amazing and your taste buds with be ready for all that BBQ food!
- Serve with corn on the cob, rice, roasted veg, coleslaw or any other sides of choice!