Dips & Spreads
The Best Tuna Vegan Cheese Ball
1 hour 53 minutes
2 Vegan Cheese Balls
Did somebody say vegan cheese ball? Yep, I did, and this one is damn delicious. Not only is this recipe simple and easy, but it’s dairy-free/vegan-friendly.
Cheese balls can be great on a charcuterie board or as an appetizer and is perfect for this time of year as you start to host all your friends and family over the holiday season.
Hosting can be stressful, especially when you’re always going, go, go, and have a million other things to do. That’s why I’ve been all for the simple appetizer recipes like this vegan cheese ball made with all raw ingredients, and a vegan tuna that really adds so much flavour. Bet you can’t just eat one bite of this bad boy!
Why you’ll love this recipe
This recipe is so tasty! If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know I couldn’t stop eating it after I made it. If you need a little more convincing, here are some reasons you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s raw – no cooking required for this baby
- The herbs and spices, combined with the onions, garlic, etc. make for a ball loaded with flavour
- Enjoy with crackers, on bread or toast, with vegetables, or just on its own!
- Great for hosting, and looks impressive even though it’s simple to make
Good Catch Foods vegan tuna
I know what you’re probably wondering… how on earth can tuna be vegan? Well, if you haven’t been following some of my other tuna recipes, you’re seriously missing out on this amazing product I’ve been using lately. Good Catch Foods makes vegan-friendly tuna products that can be used as a substitute in any tuna recipe. They’re plant-based tuna tastes like the real thing but it’s made with a blend of plant protein that includes:
- Fava beans
- Navy beans
They also add in algae oil and special plant ingredients to capture that seafood flavour organically. It’s loaded with Omega-3s as well, which means you get the benefits of consuming fish, without actually consuming it.
An important thing to note is that you should use the freshest and best herbs and spices, sweet white onion, and good quality garlic, as well as a quality soft vegan cheese in order to really elevate this recipe. The vegan tuna really adds texture, tang, and flavour to this vegan cheese ball as well. Not to mention all the other benefits that I mentioned previously of Good Catch Foods products.
Should we rename this to a big protein ball? Because it’s loaded with it.
Other appy recipes you’ll love
If you’re looking for other simple appetizers to whip up for your friends and family, here are some of my fav easy vegan recipes for you to try:
- Vegan Cranberry Cheese Tarts
- Homemade Mini Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Easy Pumpkin Hummus
- Crispy Mushroom Phyllo Bites
- Vegan BBQ Black Bean Meatballs
What are some of your fav vegan appetizers to make for hosting? Share them below in the comments!
The Best Vegan Cheese Ball
- 450 grams of your favourite vegan soft cream cheese
- 100 grams of your favourite vegan soft cheddar cheese
- 3 packets of Good Catch Tuna - Naked in water Tuna - rinsed strained and squeezed
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- 2/3 cup finely chopped sweet white onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh herbs I used cilantro, parsley, thyme, dill, sage and oregano
- 3 large garlic cloves pressed
Cheese Ball Topping (optional):
- Fresh Herbs
- Crushed Walnuts
- Into a medium-sized mixing bowl begin combining your cheeses of choice. Mix till soft and mouldable. I used a wooden spoon and it worked perfectly.
- Begin adding the rest of your ingredients and stir till everything is well combined. Give your cheese mixture a taste and test for salt + pepper. As as you see fit.
- Place 2 pieces - around the size of a sheet of paper - of lightly greased parchment paper or cling film on the surface of your counter and set aside.
- Split your cheese mixture into using your hands and begin rolling them into large balls (2). Place each ball onto the parchment or cling film and cover with the parchment or cling film. Place in the fridge overnight or at least 2 hours before coating with optional walnuts and enjoying with fresh veggies, toast or crackers.