Creamy White Bean Soup with Kale
I love beans! Seriously though. They are so dang versatile, filling, good for you. The list goes on and on. In this creamy white bean soup with kale, the white beans add the perfect texture and hardiness to a delicious fall soup recipe that you’ll want to add to your go-to soup recipes.
Why you’ll love this white bean soup recipe:
- Protein-Packed: The beans add so much delicious protein to fill you right up in this white bean soup recipe
- Healthy: The beans, the kale, the other veggies, this soup is loaded with nutritious ingredients
- Quick: It takes only 15 minutes to prep this soup
Here are the ingredients you need for this white bean soup recipe:
White Beans: White beans have a high nutrient density and combined with their high fiber and protein content, these beans add a lot of tasty benefits to your diet and make this white bean soup recipe super hearty!
Fresh Herbs: Opt for fresh herbs in this recipe for the best flavor. I used rosemary and thyme. You could try to sub other herbs as well but note you’ll have a different flavor. Rosemary and thyme are great for fall flavors!
Kale: Kale contains fiber, antioxidants, calcium, iron, and vitamin C and K. It’s so good for you and is a definite superfood. What I love about kale is that it is also super versatile. You can eat it raw, as chips, in smoothies, in soup, etc. etc.
How do you make white bean soup?
1. Heat a large pot on medium. To the pot add olive oil, onions, carrot, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent and fragrant. To the pot, add the garlic, seasoning, fresh herbs, spices, and bay leaf. Stir till combined and coated.
2. To the pot, add the beans. Brown for 5 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable stock and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Before serving, add the kale and lemon juice. Cook till the kale is tender!
5. Transfer half the soup to a high-speed blender and blend till smooth. Return the blended soup into the pot and stir till combined.
6. Garnish your white bean soup recipe with fresh chopped parsley and olive oil.
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Storage: This will last in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week. This soup is also freezer-friendly in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 months. Always let the soup cool completely before sealing and adding it to the fridge.
Substituting Kale: You can sub out the kale for spinach in this white bean soup recipe or leave out the greenery completely if you don’t have either.
Can I substitute white beans? You can use navy beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas, however, I find white beans to be the best texture and taste for this recipe.
What are white beans? White beans are also known as cannellini beans if you’re having issues finding them in the grocery store!
Other soup recipes you’ll love:
- Simple Carrot Soup
- Vegetable Orzo Soup
- The Detox Kale + Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Vegan Greek Lemon Rice Soup
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Creamy White Bean Soup with Kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 medium-sized carrots diced
- 3 ribs of celery diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme finely chopped
- 3 bay leafs
- 3-4 cups white bean of choice strained and rinsed
- 900 mL vegetable stock
- 1 large head of black or curly kale washed and finely chopped
- Juice of half of a lemon
- garnish with fresh parsley and olive oil optional
- Heat a large pot on medium. To the pot add olive oil, onions, carrot, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent and fragrant. To the pot, add the garlic, seasoning, fresh herbs, spices, and bay leaf. Stir till combined and coated.
- To the pot, add the beans. Brown for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Before serving, add the kale and lemon juice. Cook till the kale is tender!
- Transfer half the soup to a high-speed blender and blend till smooth. Return the blended soup into the pot and stir till combined.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and olive oil.
nice!!! I just finished the last sip of this soup and I’m so satisfied, creamy, and delicious!
I love this recipe! I’m glad you do as well 🙂 yum!
Made it last night and it was delicious! Love that it’s a simple soup but with so much flavor!
Simple delicious recipes are my favourite! Im glad you enjoyed Caz!
I made this for dinner tonight, and my husband and I enjoyed it very much!
Great to hear Cathy!!
So happy to hear that!!
You always take the simplest ingredients and turn them into a work of art!
Thank you for your kind comment Heather, at Food By Maria, I try to make things easy, seamless, and delicious!
This soup is absolutely lovely, what a wonderful creation!
Reita! Thank you for you comment 🙂
Thank you Reita!!
Yum! This is delicious. Simple and easy- two words that must be said in the kitchen. I mixed in some roasted potatoes too!
Amazing!! Potatoes are a wonderful addition 🙂
Delicious! My husband loved it and my kids too. I think it was there first time liking kale!
Amazing to hear 🙂