This recipe speaks for itself. It’s indulgent, satisfying, comforting and amazing. I love how fluffy the garlic ball is and the sauce compliments it perfectly. I used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour in this recipe, I swear by this brand and product! My breads come out perfect every time!
I love making this for a family gathering or when I have friends over. I find that it’s a great compliment with a nice Pasta Dish and fresh caesar salad. The dough for the garlic ball is versatile and you can make everything with it including rolls, knots, breads and more. So feel free to get creative and spice things up a little by adding herbs, cinnamon and sugar or even fresh berry compotes if you want to make a sweet treat versus savoury.
One of the best parts of this recipe is how the fragrance of the bread will fill your whole house and make it smell like a delicious Italian bakery as it cooks! Please know that you can make the size of the balls and small or as large as you like! Smaller is better for more people and larger I would say is more suited to a sit down dinner with 6 or so people!
Who can say no to bread, cheese and garlic? I know I can’t. I wish they sold candles with this smell. Nom!!
I know you’re doing to love this recipe but for more reasons that one!
This recipe is:
- fluffy and crispy
- really satisfying to make
- versatile and easy to mold and make your own
Zaatar Pull Apart Garlic Butter Ball Loaf
For the Dough:
For the Garlic + Herb Sauce:
- Into a small bowl add your 1 cup of your flour and your yeast. Stir and set a side.
- Into a large bowl whisk together your water, sugar, egg replacement, salt and oil till well combined.
- Into the large bowl add your flour and yeast mixture. Whisk for around 2-3 minutes or until everything is well combined and lots of bubbles have developed. Now stir in the remainder of the flour, slowly, and add more as you need. You want it to be pliable but not too sticky. Kneed for 5 minutes and add flour to surface area to make the process easy.
- Grease the sides of a large bowl and add in your dough. Add oil to the top of your dough and place a damp cloth over top of the bowl. Place in a warm place for around 15-30 minutes.
- While your dough recipes prepare your herb sauce sauce by adding all your ingredients into a pot and simmer on low heart till completely melted. Whisk/stir constantly to avoid burning. Once ready remove from heat and let it cool. This should only take a few minutes. Set aside till cooled.
- You can now preheat your oven to 350F and grab a 9" loaf pan and lightly grease with olive oil.
- Once your dough has risen punch a hole into the middle of the dough (this is very satisfying) and let it rise by double once again.
- Roll your dough into a ball and divide into around 12 pieces. Roll into balls and begin placing them into your loaf pan. Every three of four balls or so, add some of that herb sauce and repeat till balls are in the loaf and the sauce is gone. Let this sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the parmesan. Top with some Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds and bake for around 25-35 minutes.
- Eat right away and I suggest dipping it into a Marinara Sauce or a Cheese sauce! I love using Hot For Food, Nacho Cheese Sauce!
Pin the below image to save this recipe for later!