If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been full-blown into soup season already. Soup is just one of my favorite things. It’s versatile, it’s forgiving, it’s healthy, and it warms you up. This creamy tomato soup is easy peasy and will be the perfect pairing with your favorite sandwich this fall.
Why you’ll love this creamy tomato soup:
- Vegan: The words “creamy” and “vegan” don’t often go hand-in-hand because it can be challenging to get that creamy consistency without the addition of cream or cheese
- Healthy: Loaded with tomatoes, this soup is an easy way to sneak in some veggies (or fruit – whatever you consider a tomato)
- The Perfect Pair: Tomato soup goes so well with a grilled cheese or your favorite grilled sandwich
To make this tasty creamy tomato soup, all you have to do is gather up some easy, fresh ingredients. Let’s talk a bit about those below.
Nabati Cheeze: Nabati Cheeze is one of my favs in the kitchen. It’s a great plant-based alternative that’s dairy-free, lactose-free, casein-free, soy-free, and gluten-free (wow, that was a mouthful). You can use this cheese on anything and everything, both in recipes like this, or on its own. Throw it into pasta, on a pizza, on nachos. It melts well and tastes so good!
Tomatoes: Loaded with a substance called lycopene, tomatoes help protect your cells from damage. They also have potassium, vitamins B & E, and other nutrients. Use whatever kind of tomatoes you have on hand here! If you are not a fan of tomatoes, use red pepper, eggplant, zucchini, whatever your heart desires. It is still the same concept and method! Have fun with it.
Basil: If there is one thing I love it’s fresh herbs. In this recipe the basil really compliments the tomato (there’s a reason caprese salad is so good). Did you know it has compounds that can even help with anxiety? Basil is so dang versatile and wonderful. Use it fresh, or dry in a variety of recipes.
How do you make creamy tomato soup?
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Into a large pan add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes, and basil. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are golden and roasted.
3. To a blender, add the roasted ingredients, coconut milk, stock, and cheese. Blend till smooth.
4. Serve with more fresh basil if desired.
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Canned Coconut Milk: Canned coconut milk really lends delicious creaminess and flavor to this soup. It makes it perfectly silky and the minimal notes of coconut work really well to balance the spice from the red chili flakes.
Roasting: If you don’t want to roast the vegetables, you can cook them on the stove top till tender and juicy. I do highly recommend roasted since it’s easier and cleaner.
Storage: Make this soup up and store it in an airtight container once cooled for 5-6 days, or once cooled, freeze it (without the fresh basil on top) for up to 2 months.
What can I serve it with? Your favorite sandwich (panini’s and grilled cheeses are great), veggies and dip, a salad, or even as a starter to a 3-course dinner if you’re fancy.
Other soup recipes you’ll love:
- Simple Carrot Soup
- Vegetable Orzo Soup
- The Detox Kale + Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Vegan Greek Lemon Rice Soup
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegan)
- 5-6 large garden tomatoes scored
- 1 large yellow onion quartered
- 5 cloves of garlic whole
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Nabati Cheddar Cheese
- more basil salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Into a large pan add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes, and basil. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are golden and roasted.
- To a blender, add the roasted ingredients, coconut milk, stock, and cheese. Blend till smooth.
- Serve with more fresh basil if desired.