A creamy, delicious lentil soup that is prepared Greek-style. Of course you know me, I always love making Greek recipes for you. This Greek lentil soup combines lentils, onions, and carrots, all with a delicious tomato-based broth. It’s creamy, it’s flavorful, and it’s the ultimate comfort food for the fall/winter!
Why you’ll love this Greek lentil soup:
- 10-Minute Prep: Yep, that’s it. Whip this bad boy up in under an hour, but the prep will only take about 10 minutes
- Flavorful: The combo of spices mixed with lentils, carrots, and a tomato broth, is seriously perfect
- Healthy: This Greek lentil soup recipe is healthy and hearty. It’ll fill you up and provide you with so many nutrients
For this Greek lentil soup you’ll need the following ingredients:
Lentils: Use red lentils here. They will carry the best consistency for this soup. Lentils are rich in fibre, folate, and potassium making them an awesome choice to add to your recipes. They also have energizing iron, and vitamin B1!
Tomato Broth: Don’t skip the tomato paste. What makes this soup so delicious is the tomato broth.
Onion, Garlic & Carrots: Don’t skip the step at the beginning to cook these down for 5-minutes. This is what brings so much flavor to the soup.
How do you make Greek lentil soup?
1. Into a large pot, heat the olive oil for 30 seconds on medium heat.
2. To the pot, add the onions, garlic, and carrot and cook for 5 minutes stir often to avoid burning. You want the onions to golden, not brown. Turn heat to low if your stovetop is strong.
3. To the pot, add the bay leaves, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir to evenly coat all the ingredients.
4. Increase heat to high, add the lentils and water, and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots are completely tender and perfect.
5. Serve with vinegar. This is a must.
Expert Tips & FAQ:
What makes this Greek? “Fakes” in Greek is a traditional vegan soup that is served in many Greek homes. This combo of the tomato broth with lentils is something I’ve grown up with. Bonus that it’s vegan!!
Serving with Vinegar: For this recipe, vinegar is so important. It heightens the flavor and blends everything perfectly. Any type of vinegar will work. Do not use lemon.
What type of lentils should I use? Red lentils cook the best for soup because they cook quicker and create a creamy texture which make them great for soups, curries, stews, etc. For this recipe, pre-cook them before adding them in.
Other soup recipes you’ll love:
- Simple Carrot Soup
- Vegetable Orzo Soup
- The Detox Kale + Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Vegan Greek Lemon Rice Soup
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Greek Lentil Soup (Fakes)
- 3 tbsp. olive
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped or smashed
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable stock paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cooked lentils cook before you start the recipe
- 6 cups of hot water or vegetable stock if you don't have the stock paste
- 1-2 tbsp. red wine vinegar to serve with each serving HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Into a large pot, heat the olive oil for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- To the pot, add the onions, garlic, and carrot and cook for 5 minutes stir often to avoid burning. You want the onions to golden, not brown. Turn heat to low if your stovetop is strong.
- To the pot, add the bay leaves, tomato paste, vegetable stock paste salt, and pepper. Stir to evenly coat all the ingredients.
- Increase heat to high, add the lentils and water (or vegetable stock), and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots are completely tender and perfect.
- Serve with vinegar. This is a must.