BBQ season has got to be my favorite season. Nothing says summertime than a good ol’ BBQ. Aside from the main courses such as veggie burgers or sausages, it’s always nice to have some colorful salads to complement them. Produce is so fresh and it’s always important to have some greenery and healthy salads on the side. This Mediterranean salad recipe with millet is one of the go-to salads that I love to bring to barbecues or potlucks with family and friends.
Why you’ll love this Mediterranean salad recipe:
- 15-Minutes: Make up this Mediterranean salad recipe in only 15-minutes flat. Yep, it’s that easy!
- Healthy: Loaded with fresh produce and nutritious millet, this Mediterranean salad is super healthy
- Colorful: I love adding a pop of color to my table or plate and this salad will definitely do the trick
Here are some of the flavorful ingredients you’ll need for this Mediterranean salad recipe:
Millet: An ancient grain that has been farmed for over 10,000 years, millet comes in different varieties such as pearl or foxtail. I personally like proso millet which Bob’s Red Mill makes. This millet has a light flavor and is great in both sweet or savory dishes. It’s a great (healthy) alternative to rice, and you can even make things like porridge with it. What’s great about millet is it contains B-complex vitamins, PLUS several essential amino acids, and is a good source of magnesium.
Chickpeas: Rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, chickpeas can offer a variety of health benefits such as improving your digestion, and decreasing your chance of several diseases. Chickpeas are also a great protein source and that’s why I love them in my vegan diet.
Veggies & Herbs: Get creative here and use whatever fresh herbs or veggies you have on hand for this Mediterranean salad. You can even swap out the chickpeas with things like pinto beans or whatever you have in your pantry. The best part about salads is they are so versatile and a great way to clean out your garden or fridge.
How to make a Mediterranean salad with millet:
1. Prepare the Millet as per the package instructions. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
2. Gently toast the pine nuts on an ungreased pan until golden. They burn quickly so cook on low and watch them carefully.
3. Prep all your other ingredients.
4. To a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix till everything is coated.
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Salting: Lightly salt each salad ingredient as you are adding them to the large mixing bowl. This will help distribute the flavor of each ingredient and ensure it’s all well salted.
Storage: This salad will last up to 1 week in the fridge in a tightly sealed container.
Dressing: I love tossing this salad with the dressing beforehand because it gets soaked up in the millet and ends up being such a flavorful salad. Add more lemon if you like it tart, more olive if you like it rich, more salt if you like it salty and vice versa for the opposite pallets.
Millet: If you don’t have Bob’s Red Mill Millet, then use Bob’s Red Mill Quinoa or Couscous!
Chickpeas: If you’re not a fan of chickpeas, I suggest using lentils or any white beans in this salad!
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Grits & Creamy Beans & Collards
- Refried Beans & Avocado Tacos
- Hearty Vegetable + Mixed Bean Stew
- Vegan BBQ Black Bean Meatballs
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Mediterranean Salad Recipe (with Millet)
- 2 cups cooked Bob's Red Mill Millet
- 1 400 mL can of chickpeas strained, washed and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup marinated artichokes chopped
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup toast pine nuts
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup feta crumbled (more if needed)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. oregano spice
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Juice + zest of 1 large lemon
- Prepare the Millet as per the package instructions. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Gently toast the pinenuts on an ungreased pan until golden. They burn quickly so cook on low and watch them carefully.
- Prep all your other ingredients.
- To a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix till everything is coated.
TIP: lightly salt each salad ingredient as you are adding them to the large mixing bowl. This will help distribute the flavor of each ingredient and ensure it's all well salted.