Vegan Comfort Food
Plant-Based Coconut Curry Meatballs With Soup
This recipe was inspired by two other recipes you may have seen on my blog before, my Coconut Curry Soup and my Vegan Greek Meatballs with Whipped Feta and Creamy Orzo. I’ve combined the yummy flavours of curry soup with the hardiness of meatballs for this soup with Coconut Curry Meatballs. And boy is it a match made in heaven!
Why you’ll love these Coconut Curry Meatballs:
- It’s a unique recipe combining meatballs and curry – an odd but delicious combo
- It is loaded with flavour from the spices in the curry
- The meatballs make this soup very filling
- It’s dairy-free, gluten-free & meat-free
- A creative plant-based twist on traditional turkey meatballs
How do I make vegan meatballs?
I love making faux meatballs. They are really filling and they’re often a piece of food you can make and easily trick the meat-lovers in your family. For this recipe, you can use whatever vegan meat substitute you prefer. Grab the sub and add-in:
- Chopped white onion
- Bread crumbs
- Oat milk (or your fav vegan milk)
- Spices: red curry paste and yellow curry spice
- A handful of fresh chopped mint and green onions
All you do is toss all the above ingredients into a bowl and mix them well using your hands to combine all the ingredients. Then create golf size balls & cook them up. This recipe should yield around 12-14 depending on how big you make your balls!
How do you make coconut curry soup?
The next step is the soup! Into a large bowl, add your oil and heat it up on medium-low heat before adding your onion. Sweat that onion out and stir it often so it doesn’t burn!
Next add these ingredients before adding your red pepper, but any vegetables will work!
Let this all cook for 3-5 minutes. The longer you cook, the more fragrant the soup will so take your time if you have it.
Once this is fragrant, pop the lid on and let it cook until it’s tender (about 5 minutes). Remove the lid and increase the heat up to add your:
- Red curry paste
- Chili flakes
- Coconut milk
- Veggie stock paste
- Nutritional yeast
- Coconut aminos
Stir all the ingredients up and bring to a boil. Prepare your grain/pasta/rice as instructed on the package. Before serving, toss those meatballs into your soup!
How should I serve my Coconut Curry Meatballs & Soup?
Throw on your favourite garnishes. This soup pairs nicely with:
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime
- red chili pepper
Other soup recipes you’ll love:
- Light & Fresh Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Vegan Ramen
- Creamy Spinach & Gnocchi Soup
- Vegan Italian Wedding Soup
- Vegan Carrot & Ginger Soup
- Vegan Crab Cakes
Plant-Based Coconut Curry Meatball Soup
For the Meatballs:
- 396 gram 14 oz of your choice of vegan meat substitute
- 3/4 cup sweet white onion finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs*
- 3 tbsp. oat milk
- 1 tsp red curry paste**
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh green onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp umami spice optional, I used Trader Joe’s
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp. yellow curry powder
For the Soup:
- 2 cups cooked white rice or any small pasta you have on hand
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium-sized white onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 2 inch cube of ginger grated or finely chopped – skin removed
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. red curry paste**
- season to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes – add as little or as much as you’d like
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 –6 cups boiling water more if you find the soup is too thick
- 2 tsp. veggie stock paste
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast – I used Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 cup cubed tofu optional
- garnish with: fresh cilantro fresh mint, lime and red chili flakes
- Prepare your meatballs by adding all your ingredients into a bowl, mix well using your hands and create golf size balls. Should yield around 12-14.
- Prepare your desired grain/rice or pasta of choice and set aside. I would recommend 1/2 of rice/grain/pasta per serving.
- For the soup. Into a large soup pot add your coconut oil and heat for 20-30 seconds on medium-low heat before adding your white onion. Sweat this out for around 5 minutes. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Now add your peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding your garlic, ginger, curry and cumin. I let this cook for 3-5 minutes. The longer you let them cook, the more fragrant the soup.
- Remove lid, increase heat to high and add your red curry paste, desired seasoning to taste, chilli flakes, coconut milk, water, veggie stock paste, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos and tofu. Stir till everything is well combined and then bring mixture to a boil. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare your meatballs by adding them to a well-greased pan and pan-frying for 6 minutes on each side on medium-high heat. You want your meatballs to be crispy and golden brown!
- To assemble, place a generous amount of soup base to a bowl, add in some meatballs and rice/grain/pasta and top with rice and your fresh garnish.