Plant-based Eggplant + Tomato Pasta (30 minutes)
Just when I thought I could not love pasta as much as I already do I discovered eggplant + tomato sauce. It is so creamy, filling, flavourful and fragrant, it suits perfect with Nathalie Sader’s Chevre Cheese (plant based), pine nuts, and basil.
The spices in this dish are to thank really as they bring out the natural sweetness and beauty of both the tomato and eggplant. If you have always been on the fence about eggplant then I am certain this dish will chance your perspective, forever!
It all starts with golden onions and garlic to give the sauce its gorgeous base. Then by simply adding spices, tomatoes, and eggplant you are in for a delicious treat.
This pasta dish takes 30 minutes to make, requiring only one pan (for sauce) and a high speed blender or food processor. Every ingredient in this dish provides a balance of fresh, sweet and savoury; its a must try!
You can add some extra flavour to this dish with nutritional yeast, lemon, sundried tomatoes or roasted peppers.
This pasta is:
- satisfying and comforting
I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did and don’t forget to let us know what you thought by leaving us a comment below!
Love from Your Greek Food Goddess XOX
Plant-based Eggplant + Tomato Pasta
- pasta of choice - this sauce is enough for four servings
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 large white onion cubed
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 egg plant cubed
- 3/4 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- Bring water to boil in large pot.
- Into a large sauce pan add your EVOO, onion, garlic and eggplant. Cook this on medium heat for 10 minutes, till golden.
- Add salt to water and add your pasta once boiled and cook as instructed.
- Add spices to your sauce pan mixture and stir well. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes and stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Now add your tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil then simmer for 10 more minutes. Using a spoon break down the tomatoes.
- Transfer mixture into a high speed blender. Blend till smooth and silky.
- After you've strained your pasta add a serving to a bowl, cover with sauce, and garnish with pine nuts and fresh basil!