Happy Easter Everyone!! As you all know it is not technically not my Easter as I am Greek and we celebrate on the 1st of May this year! We did Celebrate Greek Independence Day yesterday though, which is awesome!
So I thought I would infuse your weekend with something a bit closer to home for me. A Gyro.. but done completely different to traditional (sorry mom). I was inspired to make this a few months back by the lovely Kay, from @kaycerrara! This mama of two is currently on a flight down to Mexico for some much needed relaxation and chill time. She is such a lovely soul, an amazing mom but above all a really good friend. She has stuck by my side through some pretty tough times these past few months, and for that I am forever grateful! You rock mama! Seriously.
These little Gyros are so easy to put together, and I promise you that much easier to enjoy!
Packed with colourful greens, vitamins and nourishment they’re sure to keep you fuelled, balanced and filled with good energy!
I have to go prepare a really pretty photo of my Cacao Almond “Milk” that I just made (watch on FoodByMaria snapchat now). Was inspired by the beautiful and talented Erin Ireland (@erinireland) from itstodiefor.ca! Ill post most about that soon though! Happy day everyone, the sun is shinning real bright here in YYC, and I have a good idea why.
PS I put that this recipe yields 4 but that it entirely up to you and how many pitas you choose to fill with all this lovely goodness!
Love from your Greek Food Goddess XOX
Vegan Dill Pickle Roasted Chickpea Gyros
For the Gyros:
For the Chickpeas:
- Preheat your oven to 350 - check a few steps down depending on how you want the chickpeas cooked!
- Line a baking sheet with parchement.
- Now into a bowl combine all the ingredients for the chick peas, stir well and transfer onto the baking sheet! Pop the chickpeas into the oven, and now wait about 40 minutes
- Prepare all your veg of choice, and the pitas you plan on using- and set aside.
- Check on your chickpeas... depending on how crunchy you want them means the longer they have to cook... this can take up to an hour and a half!! If you want them crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside them cook them at 375, for 45 minutes!
- In the mean time prepare your Tzatziki by combining all the ingredients into a bowl, and stirring! Yep! Its that easy.
- Now put these bad boys together!