Creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup
Move over Olive Garden. I’ve been inspired to put a vegan spin on a classic dish and created this creamy spinach and mushroom vegan gnocchi soup.
It’s so buttery and flavourful I don’t even know where to start.
My creamy spinach and mushroom vegan gnocchi soup silky, smooth, and delicious. Yes, that may be the only accurate way to describe it. It’s hearty, nourishing, will warm you up, and inspired by the classic Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup! But in Classic FoodbyMaria fashion – I MADE IT VEGAN! BOOM!
Why you’ll love this vegan gnocchi soup:
- Buttery: There are no words to describe the gnocchi in this soup other than BUTTERY (drooling emoji). The best part – other than the melting gooeyness of gnocchi in your mouth, is that this recipe is simple and only takes 40 minutes to make, and includes powerful tasting veggies like mushroom and spinach.
- Great Flavor: The key flavors in this recipe that really stand out are garlic and vegan parmesan cheese. Trust me when I say that parmesan cheese is a MUST in this recipe. If you’re not vegan you can use regular parmesan cheese, but if you are looking for a vegan alternative, Violife Foods has you covered with their Prosociano Wedge.
Gnocchi: Go for a good quality Gnocchi, ideally from your local market – the fresher the better!
Coconut Milk: Make sure you use a high in fat coconut milk – this will help take on the role of the traditional cream that is usually used
Cheese: PARMESAN CHEESE! Yes, a caps lock is needed. This is non-negotiable, it completely transforms the dish!
How to make vegan gnocchi soup:
1. To a large stockpot at the olive oil and heat on low-medium for 30 seconds before adding onions and celery. Cook them down for around 8-10 minutes, or until translucent, extremely fragrant and soft.
2. To the pot add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook down for 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Stir often to avoid burning.
3. Once your mushrooms have reduced by almost half, add the flour and still till the ingredients are all well coated. Add the thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and stir well. Increase heat to high and add vegetable stock. Bring mixture to a boil then to a simmer. Add gnocchi and cook for 5-7 minutes before adding coconut milk, spinach or kale and parmesan cheese.
4. Check for seasoning before enjoying it immediately. Garnish with more parmesan and drizzling of olive oil!
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Be Patient: Be patient while sautéing the onions and celery, this is where you get your flavor that sets the recipe up for HUGE success
Storage: I always recommend that any soup with noodles or gnocchi to keep them stored separately so the soup base doesn’t just absorb into them.
Other comforting recipes to try:
- Easy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Vegetable Soup with Vegan Dumplings
- Winter Vegan Pot Pie
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Vegan Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized white onion finely chopped
- 3 medium-sized celery sticks finely chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp thyme spice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups hot water and 1 tbsp. vegetable stock paste
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups potato gnocchi
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk - full fat unsweetened
- 2 cups packed fresh kale or baby spinach
- 1 cup vegan parmesan
- To a large stockpot at the olive oil and heat on low-medium for 30 seconds before adding onions and celery. Cook them down for around 8-10 minutes, or until translucent, extremely fragrant and soft.
- To the pot add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook down for 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Once your mushrooms have reduced by almost half, add the flour and still till the ingredients are all well coated. Add the thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and stir well. Increase heat to high and add vegetable stock. Bring mixture to a boil then to a simmer. Add gnocchi and cook for 5-7 minutes before adding coconut milk, spinach or kale and parmesan cheese.
- Check for seasoning before enjoying it immediately. Garnish with more parmesan and drizzling of olive oil!
this is one of the best soups ever 😍 so creamy and delicious, love the chunky ness and it’s so so easy to make. Recommend putting some crispy onions on top for added yumminess 🏼 We don’t have olive garden in the UK but with this recipe we don’t even need it!
I am so happy you enjoyed this emily!!!
Hi! What’s your favorite Parmesan brand? And could I sub arrowroot starch for the flour? Excited to make this!
for vegan use violife!! I think you can do that…. just make sure you mix the arrowroot with a bit to water first!
Thank you for this recipe, Maria. It is so delicious, creamy and satisfying. It had the flavor of cream of mushroom soup. I loved it! It was like a warm hug on a cold day. It’s my kind of soup, nourishing and healthy. It is perfect and so easy to prepare.
I am so glad you loved this! Thanks hun!
Oh Wow Maria, So delicious 😋. Thank you so much.
thank you so much for the love, rose!
This recipe is AMAZING!!! I have a dairy allergy, and so it’s hard to enjoy some of my favorites before the allergy, this soup being one of them. Thank you, seriously!!! And super easy recipe!
I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe!!! Thank you so much, Jennifer!
Hello! I made this and it tastes so good! Only thing is – I used regular parmesan instead of vegan parmesan, so I am getting a lot of sticky cheese bites. What measurement of regular parmesan do you suggest to use?
hard to say! Sounds like maybe you added too much, I didn’t test it with regular parm, so that may be the slight glich! Just eye ball it as you go!
Highly recommend! This recipe is so creamy and delicious and is literally a warm hug on a cold day! #soulfood
Thanks for the great recipe!
Thank you so much for the love, Emily!