Lasagna is a beautiful thing. It’s so comforting and perfect for those nights that you want a hardy meal. These Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups are a unique twist on your typical lasagna. They make lasagna more fun than it already is, plus this recipe is totally plant-based, and your kids and family won’t even notice because it’s so damn delicious.
Why you’ll love Vegan Lasagna Roll-Up:
- They’re a fun twist to traditional lasagna
- They are plant-based
- They are so hardy and filling
- You’ll likely have leftovers so it’s a great meal prep recipe
How do you make cashew ricotta?
The main ingredient to make this ricotta-like cheese is cashews and this recipe is incredibly easy to make. I would just suggest that you make it in advance to give it time to sit and get the desired consistency. Here are the steps:
- Soak cashews in cold water for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours (or soak in hot water for 30 minutes)
- Strain and rinse cashews before transferring to your blender
- Blend until it resembles a ricotta texture
- Spread to your heart’s content!
How do you make vegan “meat” sauce?
This recipe is definitely one of my favs. It is such a good go-to vegan sauce to have on hand. It’s also pretty simple to make. Here’s the drill:
- In a food processor add mushrooms and process until finely ground and remove from processor
- Next, add your walnuts into the food processor and blend until finely ground, then again, remove from processor and combine with mushrooms
- In a large soup pot, add your oil then mushrooms and walnut mixture
- Cook for around 6-8 minutes stirring often, continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has browned
- Into the food processor, add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, then process until finely ground
- Remove mushroom & walnut mix from the pot and transfer to a bowl
- Into the same pot add your onion mixture and cook on medium heat for around 5-6 minutes or until browned. Add water here if it starts to stick!
- To the mixture add chili flakes, cinnamon, cloves, basil, parsley, and a bay leaf, and stir away!
- Push the cooked onions to the side in the pot and add the tomato paste. Cook until browned then stir all your mixtures together
- Increase the heat and add your pasta and vegetable stock paste. Cook for 5 minutes before adding water to mix
- Put on your pot lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes before using in your roll-ups
How do you make vegan lasagna rolls?
This recipe is a combination of two of my favourite recipes I already have on my blog. Remember that amazing vegan meat sauce I always talk about? Yep, we’ll use that in this recipe. Plus, I just posted about how to make cashew ricotta, and we’ll also use that ricotta to stuff these beautiful Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups. Here’s the deal on how to pull these bad boys together:
- Make the ricotta using this recipe. I suggest making this a day before!
- Make the delicious meat sauce using this recipe
- Use lasagna sheets or typical lasagna pasta and boil it until it’s soft and you’re able to bend/roll it
- Add ricotta to the noodles
- Top with vegan meat sauce
- Roll these roll-ups up!
- Add them to a greased casserole dish
- Top with vegan meat sauce
- Optional! You can also top this with your favourite vegan cheese
- Bake and voila!
This recipe is so damn good. I can’t wait for you to make it and let me know what you think! Don’t forget to leave a review in my comments and feel free to ask me any questions you have!
Other pasta recipes you’ll love:
- 30-Minute One-Pot Greek Pasta
- Amazing Vegan Truffle Pasta
- 5-Ingredient Lemon Tuna Pasta
- The Best Garlic & Onion White Wine Pasta Sauce
Vegan Lasagna Roll-Ups with Cashew Ricotta
- Grease a 14 X 11 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F and fill a large pot with water. Bring the water to a boil and salt well.
- Boil pasta for around 5 minutes or until aldente and easy to use/handle. You want to be able to roll the pasta.
- Remove the pasta from the hot water and place into a bowl that has been lightly greased with olive oil.
- Begin by adding 2 tbsp. of ricotta to each lasage sheet (see images for reference). Be sure to cover every edge, leaving around 1/2 inch on each side.
- Now, add meat sauce to the lasagna sheet. I would recommend around 2 tbsp. but add enough to cover the ricotta.
- Roll the lasagna sheet till closed and place onto your greased baking sheet. Repeat till you fill your baking sheet.
- Top your roll-ups with the remainder of your meat sauce and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Enjoy with fresh thyme and a lovely salad!