Vegetarian Creamed Corn Recipe
Nothing says comforting Thanksgiving and holiday food than creamed corn. I love corn, but why make a boring dish of canned corn kernels when you can make a creamy, cheesy, creamed corn recipe.
Why you’ll love this creamed corn recipe:
- Make it in under 30 minutes
- Made with simple ingredients
- A tasty side dish for any dinner or holiday
- Vegetarian, but can be adapted to be plant-based
How do you make creamed corn?
Like I said, it doesn’t get any easier than this recipe. When you’re cooking a holiday meal, you can have so many things on-the-go that you need to make, that it’s great when your side dishes aren’t super time consuming. This creamed corn recipe is far from that. You can whip it up, and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat, then all you have to do is heat it up! Here’s how you make it:
- To a medium-sized pot, add the butter and melt on low heat
- Once melted, add the garlic and flour, stir till a ball or more lumpy consistency appears
- Add your nutritional yeast and stir more
- Now, slowly add your milk and whisk aggressively while cooking on medium-high heat (the whole process should take around 5 minutes)
- Stir till you’ve added all your milk and a more silky smooth sauce comes together
- To the pot, add the cheese, salt, pepper and corn
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until the corn kernels are hot) before serving with a bit of fresh thyme
Click here for more vegan Thanksgiving recipes you can make this year.
How do I make vegan creamed corn?
This recipe is vegetarian since it includes parmesan cheese and butter. However, you can definitely use a vegan cheese substitute to make this creamy casserole vegan and plant-based. You can also use vegan butter versus regular butter.
What is nutritional yeast?
In this recipe (and a lot of my recipes) I used nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a great thing to have in your pantry, especially as someone who eats a plant-based diet. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, and it can add that cheesy flavor you long for in vegan dishes. It also is loaded with health benefits such as:
- All nine essential amino acids
- One tablespoon contains 2 grams of protein
- It contains many B vitamins
- It contains trace minerals which help in gene regulation, metabolism, growth, and immunity
What’s your favorite holiday side dish? Share below in the comments!
Other holiday recipes to make:
- Vegan Mashed Cauliflower
- Vegan Vanilla Chai Cinnamon Bun
- Vegan Gravy
- Stuffed Eggplant with Lentils & Sundried Tomato Pesto
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Vegetarian Creamed Corn Recipe
- 1 tbsp. vegan or regular butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 3 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 5 cups of corn kernels fresh or frozen
- garnish with fresh thyme
- To a medium-sized pot, add the butter and melt on low heat. Once melted, add the garlic and flour, stir till a ball or more lumpy consistency appears. Add your nutritional yeast and stir more. Now, slowly add your milk and whisk aggressively while cooking on medium-high heat (the whole process should take around 5 minutes). Stir till you’ve added all your milk and a more silky smooth sauce comes together. To the pot, add the cheese, salt, pepper and corn! Simmer for 5-10 minutes (or until the corn kernels are hot) before serving with a bit of fresh thyme.