Crunchy Cauliflower Tacos
Taco Tuesday for the win! Do you know anyone who doesn’t love tacos? I sure don’t and I can tell you these cauliflower tacos are next level. I am not going to lie, sometimes plant-based taco options can be a little lack lustre, missing the texture and some flavors- but not this taco, no way. Introducing, Crunchy Cauliflower Tacos. This taco has everything you could wish for in a Baja style taco, the crunch of the protein in all its deep fried goodness, paired with ultra fresh pico de gallo, zesty cabbage, and cilantro crema. Read on to see how I made this little slice of Mexican heaven.
Okay let’s get one thing straight, these might be the BEST tacos I have ever made. They are everything a taco should be and more. You want crunchy, crispy, melt in your mouth taco heaven? Well you’re welcome because that’s exactly what I’ve cooked up for you. For the crust I used a mix of panko crumbs and crushed Triscuit Crackers. I’ve used Triscuit Crackers before in my Crunchy Green Bean Casserole because they just give a crunch you can’t get with a plain bread crumb. This dredge mixture along with my deep fryer are the secret sauce that make this recipe a win.
Yes, you read that right, deep fryer! Now I’m not advocating you eat deep fried everyday (even though you might want to after trying this recipe), but by deep frying these cauliflower bites you will achieve that authentic restaurant style taco. If you don’t have a deep fryer you can use a deep pan with oil just be extra careful to not start a kitchen fire!
What’s All The Hype Around Cauliflower
Cauliflower has become a plant-based eaters dream substitution for almost everything! It’s actually kind of crazy how many things this veggie can pretend to be. From chicken, to rice, even pizza crust cauliflower can create an incredible protein texture, which is why it works so well in this recipe. Not only is it delicious, cauliflower has a looong list of nutritional benefits, let’s talk about that:
- Vitamin C: 77% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 20% of the RDI
- Folate: 14% of the RDI
- Pantothenic acid: 7% of the RDI
- Potassium: 9% of the RDI
- Manganese: 8% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 4% of the RDI
Not Just For Tacos
Don’t just save these for Taco Tuesday! Coated with 100% whole wheat Triscuit Crackers they will easily become a favourite. I nailed this recipe the first try, which really speaks to how forgiving and easy it is to make. If you’re not on the cauliflower train you can sub it out and try another veggie like mushrooms or zucchini. These crunchy crusted veggie bites can also be enjoyed on a platter, with a rice dish on a salad, or on their own dipped in one of my favorite dips. Basically what I’m trying to say is you can make this recipe to suit whatever you’re in the mood for and you will not be disappointed!
Check out the recipe here and don’t forget to let me know what you think over at @foodbymaria! Tag #foodbymaria and #fearnotfoodisyourfriend so I can see all your beautiful recreations. That is, if you get a chance to take a photo of them before you’ve eaten them all!
Crunchy Cauliflower Tacos
- 1 head of medium sized cauliflower cut into florets, similar to chicken drum sticks
For the Batter:
- 2 servings of egg replacement of choice
- season lightly
For the dredge:
- 1/2 cup crushed Triscuit Crackers any flavour works, but I used Avocado, Cilantro, Lime
- 1/2 bread crumbs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
For the toppings:
- pickled cabbage
- pico de gallo
- cilantro cashew cream
- fresh cilantro
- crunchy cauliflower bites
- Prepare your cauliflower by cutting into florets and placing into a large bowl or large plate.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, prepare your egg replacement by following instructions on packet and light seasoning.
- In a large shallow bowl prepare your dredge by adding all your ingredients and stirring till well combined.
- First, using one hand only, coat your cauliflower in the "egg mixture" then dip into the dredge. Place into the frying rack and repeat till just the base is covered.
- Fry for 3 minutes or so or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and drain on paper towel.
- Assemble taco by adding your slaw, pico, cashew cream, cauliflower and fresh cilantro!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Triscuit crackers