Salads and Greens
Quick Pickled Onions
Quick Pickled Onions are so incredibly amazing to toss on your favorite Greek salad or to eat up on their own. These onions are so versatile and perfect for just about any savory recipe you’re putting together. I love the snap of flavor they provide and they’re so easy to make. So I want to spread the word on how to pickle onions because I think everyone needs to know. These are so good, I can’t keep them to myself.
Why you’ll love these Quick Pickled Onions:
- Quick: Made in only 5-minutes. You don’t have to wait months for the pickling action
- Minimal Ingredients: Made with less than 10 easy ingredients
- Flavorful & Versatile: So flavorful for salads or other recipes
- Long-Lasting: Best consumed in the first few days but can last 2-3 weeks in the fridge
Want to learn how to quick pickle other vegetables? Check out how to pickled vegetables here.
Onions: I like to use red onions but you can really use whatever you have on hand. This can be a great way as well to use up onions that are about to go bad.
Vinegar: The vinegar is what makes these babies snap! Vinegar is the key ingredient in pickling. You can really use any type of vinegar here. Each type will give the onions its own flavor.
How to pickle onions:
You guys and girls will be shocked at how easy it is to make this recipe. Most people think of pickled items and think it requires a lot of time in the kitchen, and a lot of time with the veggie on your shelf waiting to fully pickle. However, quick pickling is so fantastic because you can make it in just a few hours.
You can use this recipe across any type of vegetable and you’ll end up with delicious, crispy pickled veggies. Try it with radishes, green beans, carrots, or whatever you have lying around. I love to quick pickle things that I don’t think I’m going to use up before they go bad. This way you have less food waste and a delicious snack.
For more ideas for quick pickling, check out my other post here.
To make these Quick Pickled Onions, all you have to do is:
1. Combine all your ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and gently stir
2. Let the ingredients sit for at least 1 hour and max 3 days before eating
Expert Tips & FAQ:
What do you use Quick Pickled Onions on? Quick Pickled Onions are so versatile. This pickled onions recipe can be used across so many things you’re whipping up in your kitchen. Throw them on top of tacos, add them to your jackfruit pulled pork, or gyros. Throw them on top of your favorite burger, hot dog, or even in a grilled cheese sandwich. Lastly, the most obvious way is to use them in salads. They go hand-in-hand with just about any fresh salad recipe.
Recipes to use this Pickled Onions Recipe on:
- Plant-Based Gyros
- Israeli Fattoush Salad
- Jackfruit BBQ Burger
- Grilled Vegetable Wrap
- The Easiest Vegan Taco Bowls
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
All photos done in collaboration withExtra For Avocado
How to Pickle Onions
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 1/2 sea salt
- 1 handful of herbs of choice I love using oregano, finely chopped
- Combine all your ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and gently stir. Let the ingredients sit for at least 1 hour and max 3 days before eating.
- Use pickled onions to top salads, tacos, in sandwiches, as nacho toppings, and more!
HI!!! I used 1 1/2 tsps of salt, assuming that is what you meant… It looks like you used a course sea salt or Kosher. Anyway, stupendous!!! Thank you!
so glad you loved this!
Thank you so much! I used this recipe to marinate my zucchini and cucumber. it was perfect!
You’re so welcome, Emilia! Thanks for the love!
where is that bowl from?
You’re changing the game Maria! Thank you!
You’re so welcome, thank you!