Mashed Chickpea Salad (One-Bowl and Vegan)
This one-bowl, simple recipe is just like your tuna salad sandwich but a vegan version. I love to use this recipe for an easy lunch or meal prep. I’ll eat it on bread, in wraps, with crackers, or just on its own. It’s good, healthy, and filling.
Why you’ll love this Mashed Chickpea Salad:
- Simple to make
- Uses minimal dishes
- Perfect for lunch or meal prep
Why are chickpeas so healthy?
Chickpeas are a great versatile legume to utilize in so many recipes. You can use them in stews, soups, salads, on their own, and even in baking. What’s so great about chickpeas is that they are filling, and also loaded with health benefits. They have a variety of vitamins and minerals, the protein and fiber helps keep you full (a 1oz serving contains 3 grams of protein), and that’s not all. Chickpeas also:
- Support blood sugar control
- Help benefit digestion
- Can protect you against certain chronic diseases
BONUS! They are inexpensive, and like I said, so easy to add to your diet.
How do you make vegan tuna salad?
This Mashed Chickpea Salad is a great alternative to tuna salad sandwiches. It’s also just as simple to make. Here’s how you do it:
- Add everything in a large mixing bowl
- Combine using a pastry cutter or sharp tool that is easy for mashing
- Mash just until half the mixture is chopped (you don’t want to make hummus)
- Place the salad into the fridge to set until your desired consistency
Want something fun to try with the salad? Check out my amazing garlic confit!
Other simple chickpea recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Chickpea Flour Muffins
- Easy Fluffy Chickpea Scramble
- Vegan Chickpea Chocolate Sauce
- Spicy Vegetables and Chickpea Pasta
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Chickpea Tuna Salad
- 1 400 ml can of chickpea strained, rinsed and dried
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or 1 small shallot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- handful fresh dill finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup chopped pickle
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- dash of red chilli flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS OPTIONAL
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- For the salad, simply add everything to a large mixing bowl and combine using a pastry cutter or sharp tool that is easy for mashing. Mash just till half the mixture of choppy, you don’t want to make hummus. Place into the fridge to set once you’ve reached a tuna salad like consistency.
LOVE IT! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
thank you so much!
This is an amazing recipe!! I added shallots (had no onion) parsley, cilantro, and basil. Knocked my socks off!
I love this recipe so much! Thanks for the love hun!
Sounds delicious. Just wondering what I can use to substitute the vegan Mayo. Should I increase the olive oil?
you can use vegan or regular yogurt! I would not recommend adding more oil
This is going to be my new favourite lunch to make, I love it! Not surprised though, I love all of your recipes. I personally don’t like canned chickpeas so I cooked some from scratch and it’s SO GOOD.
YESSSS!!! This makes me so ahppy!
I hate chickpeas. I tried this with lentils, I know, weird but WOW! It worked! I’m going to try with firm pressed tofu next.
Oh wow, what a cool and unique way to spin this recipe!
there are no words for this. simply, perfect.
thank you so much, joe!
Honestly this is such a hidden gem! Incredibly tasty and you can use it in so many different ways (with some leafy greens as a salad, in a wrap or on a sandwich)! The pickles give the dish some nice crunch and a touch of sweetness! Also definitely check out Maria’s IGTV on this recipe! It’s a lot more fun to kinda cook with her than just follow the recipe ☺️
Thank you so much for the love, Caroline! let us know what you make next!