Baby it is BBQ Party season and I am damn excited! These Burgers are the perfect addition to your next gathering and I promise you that they will be the star of the show. They are super delicious, nutritious and easy to follow! When asked about these babies you can ensure all your guests that they are made from natural food, vegetarian + vegan and even recommend the recipe for their plant based diet recipes collection!
I made these last night for Andrew and he fell in love. He said that they probably wouldn’t have been the same without the homemade “Big Mac Sauce” or Thousand Island so please do not skip out on that!
BOB’S RED MILL’S LENTILS!
This recipe I made with my fav, Bob’s Red Mill’s lentils and quinoa for their #RedMillAndBlue celebrations for the 4th of July. These ingredients serve as a great base to bind the burgers together, and are loaded with health benefits for your plant based diet. Their lentils are one of my go-to’s in my pantry. Lentils are used extensively in Indian cooking and can be thrown into soups, curries, salads, and more. They also serve as a great base and nutrient source in vegan, plant based cooking.
BOB’S RED MILL’S QUINOA
The quinoa in this vegetable fritters recipe is another star ingredient. Quinoa is a go-to in my plant based diet. Bob’s Red Mill has three different varieties of the grain you can use, but I used their organic quinoa grain. What’s great about quinoa is it doesn’t take much time at all to make, plus it’s a nutritious alternative to couscous and white rice in many recipes.
Quinoa is a source of complete protein and a good source of dietary fibre. It’s naturally gluten free, and is great in any vegan diet. Some of the benefits of quinoa is:
- One of the most protein-rich foods you can eat
- Contains almost twice as much fibre as most other grains
- Contains iron
- Rich in magnesium
.. plus, the list goes on.
You’re going to love these Black Bean Burgers because they are:
- creamy and crunchy
- perfect if you’re wanting to detox your body, the right way
- made using natural and organic food
- easy to make + follow
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! As always if you try the recipe please leave us a comment below, we love your feedback!
Love from Your Greek Food Goddess XOX
Nourishing Black Bean Burger and Thousand Island Dressing
For the Burger Patty:
- 1/2 a sweet white onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic whole
- 1/2 cup sweet corn fresh or from a can strained and drained
- 1 cup cooked black beans or red lentils I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cooked quinoa - I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
For the Burger:
- seed bun - use what you like!
- fresh tomato
- butter lettuce
- fresh sprouts
- jalapeno havarti - by daiya or cheese of choice
- Preheat your oven to 375F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and spray with coconut oil or olive oil - set aside
- Into a food processor add all the ingredients for the burger patties. Blend till smooth, the mixture should almost stick together. Using a 1/2 cup mould begin shaping your patties. You can add a bit of coconut oil and bread crumbs to the 1/2 cup to avoid sticking, then smack down the mould and release your patty on the baking sheet. Once you have all your patties shaped then pat them down gently to flatten them for even cooking.
- Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes and flip them half way through. You want them nice and golden brown. You can also cook on a BBQ, on a cast iron or on Tin foil for 10 minutes a side.
- In the mean time prepare all your fixins, toast your buns and make your thousand island.
- TIP: add your sauce to the bottom bun then the rest is a free for all! ENJOY!