2 hours 6 minutes
If there is one thing I love to always have on hand, it’s phyllo dough. Phyllo is a very thin unleavened dough used for making pastries (both savory and sweet). I have so many great phyllo dough recipes that I love to make because they’re so easy but delicious, so I did not only want to share with you the black bean and feta stuffed recipe at the bottom of this post, but also some of my other fav phyllo dough recipes too!
Why you’ll love these phyllo dough recipes:
- Delicious: There are so many great, savory (and sweet) ways to use phyllo. These recipes are simple but delicious
- Versatile: You can use phyllo for all sorts of things. You’ll see the versatility in some of these great recipes
Phyllo dough recipes to make:
I used phyllo to top this creamy lentil casserole to add a little crunchy layer on top! It’s so good and comforting.
Similar to spanakopita, this vegan spinach pie uses phyllo and a creamy spinach feeling. These are a great appetizer to whip up!
These baked brie rolls with sundried tomatoes take a whole new spin on baked brie that you’re going to love. These are the perfect snack or appy that’ll become your new go-to for potlucks and parties.
These Creamy Mushroom Pastry Bites are flaky, crispy, and everything you want and need in a quick snack or appetizer recipe. I love to whip these up (in under 30 minutes) for when I’m having people over.
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
If you want more Greek Recipes, check out our Free Greek Recipe Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check it out here.
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Phyllo Dough Recipes - Black Bean and Feta Stuffed
For the Refried Beans,
For the Phyllo Triangles,
- 3 sprigs green onion thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 cup feta crumbled
- 3 tbsp. cilantro chopped
- 1 pack phyllo
- ½ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup salsa Verde
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- The night before making your individual phyllo triangles, make sure to remove your phyllo dough from the freezer. Allow to thaw in the fridge.
- In a large pot, heat your olive oil on medium heat for around 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and garlic, sautéing until slightly caramelized and fragrant, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Next, add the refried beans, and ALL of the spices.
- Cook for 5 minutes to allow all of the flavours to combine.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Add the green onion, jalapeno, and feta. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and set aside. Have it ready with a brush to gently coat your phyllo.
- It is best to keep your phyllo dough moist, so I suggest laying it out flat then covering with a damp cloth.
- Gently place one sheet or phyllo dough onto a large cutting board or flat surface. This is a very delicate ingredient, so be patient.
- Coat the whole thing with melted butter, using your brush, then repeat that step with more sheets, 4 layers total.
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the layered phyllo dough into 4 long strips.
- Scoop approximately 2-3 tbsp of the black bean filling 1 – 2 cm away from the edge of one strip.
- Roll the phyllo dough directly over the filling to fully cover it.
- Next, complete a diagonal fold towards one side, to begin a triangle formation.
- Continue this type of diagonal fold down the entire strip, making sure to alternate the sides each fold.
- Arrange onto the baking tray and lightly brush with the melted butter.
- Complete these steps until all of the filling is used.
- Bake for 16 - 18 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with salsa Verde, sour cream, and fresh lime! ENJOY!!