Plant Based Kimchi Fried Rice
I’m coming in hot with this super fun and tasty vegan dish that’s waste free, plant based, and can be made in one pot. This dish is perfect for the summer, and I love how light and infused with flavour it is.
What’s great about this recipe is that you can use leftover rice and throw it into a pan. No need to toss it in the trash, or let it sit in your fridge for days. You can easily turn it into this delicious vegan kimchi fried rice.
Plant based goodness, Kimchi
Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine and is a famous fermented vegetable that is perfect for a vegan or plant based diet. Kimchi is made with napa cabbage and Korean radish combined with a mix of seasonings like chili powder, garlic, ginger, etc.
With hundreds of varieties of kimchi loaded with goodness for your insides and benefits such as:
- Healthy bacteria and probiotics
- Helps lower cholesterol levels
- Facilitates healthy body development and clear vision
- Produces radiant skin and shiny hair
- Prevents stomach cancer
- Slows the aging process
- Boosts your immunity
For more tips on improving your digestion, check out my post here.
This recipe is one pot, which makes it incredibly easy. Bonus! You’ll have less dishes to do after you make it. Rice is one of the most common ingredients and sides in Asian food, and thankfully, it’s super versatile and perfect for a vegan, plant based diet. What is the best rice to use? I used RightRice for this recipe. RightRice is a low carb alternative to regular rice and it’s made with vegetables. I love when I can get the added benefits of more veggies into my diet.
The line of rice comes in original, lemon pepper, Spanish and garlic herb flavours, and includes ingredients such as lentils, chickpeas, and green peas. What’s great about RightRice is that it contains almost 40% less net carbs than traditional white rice. RightRice also provides twice as much protein, and five times as much fiber than your plain white rice. With most American adults not getting enough protein and fiber, this is a perfect way to get in a serving to your vegan diet.
Looking for other places to add kimchi into your diet? I love using it as a topper in this vegan ramen recipe.
Overall this recipe makes for a tasty side dish or a main course. This recipe is super simple, jam packed with flavour and nutrients, plus, your guests will think you spent hours making it when really you whipped it up in a flash.
Want more delicious asian-style food? Try my amazingly easy and creamy Vegan Ramen!
See the recipe card below for how to make my plant based Kimchi Fried Rice. Enjoy!
Plant Based Kimchi Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium sweet white onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 inch knob of ginger finely chopped
- season to taste
- 1 cup butternut squash grated
- 2 green onion stems finely chopped
- 3/4 cup kimchi
- 1 packet cooked Right Rice Original
- 1-2 tbsp. coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp. chilli hot sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Cook right rice as instructed, set aside once cooked.
- Into a large pan add your sesame oil, heat on high for a few seconds before adding your onions. Cook for 5 minute on medium-low heat. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Add garlic and ginger and sweat/cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add desired amount of seasoning - remember you will be adding soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- To the pot add the butter nut squash and green onion (just the white of the green onion) and cook for around 5 minutes. Now add your kimchi and rice. Cook for 5 minutes on medium/high, stir as little as possible but keep a close eye on it to avoid burning. You want the rice and bits to get nice and crispy.
- Add your coconut aminos, hot sauce and sesame seeds to the pan and cook for another 3-5 minutes before serving. I love eating this with grilled veggies and of course garnished with a creamy sauce and the green ends of the green onion.
This really got me hooked on kimchi—thanks 🙂
Isn’t Kimchi just so good?!
Thank you so much for the love Agata!
Y’ALL! I came to her blog for another and saw this one had to try it. Once again, she has stunned me. It’s sweet and spicy, I love that I don’t feel guilty because the Right Rice is healthy! I will be making this A LOT!
YESSS BABE! thanks so much for the love, you’re the best!
Ugh! This was sooooooo incredibly delicious. Super flavorful and bright! I could eat the whole pot myself. I’ve made it several times and also really enjoyed substituting cauliflower rice for the Right Rice.
Yes, Kendra! This is awesome. So glad you enjoyed this dish! It’s a favourite in our household!
This kimchi fried recipe is great. I love this recipe and want to cook this at my lunch hour. Thanks for sharing the awesome recipe.
Yum! Kimchi fried rice is one of my weekly staples!
It’s so damn good, I love a nice Kimchi Fried Rice!