Okay, I know I have been going a little overboard with the soups lately but I can’t help myself. I am the god damn soup queen! Yes, I’ve given myself this title. Soup is honestly incredible and this vegan corn chowder doesn’t fall short. The chipotle flavour in it is what ups the game. It’s easy to make, dairy-free but creamy, and loaded with flavour.
You can whip up this creamy vegan corn chowder in 45 minutes! The thing about soup that people don’t tell you is that if it’s made in less than 30 minutes than it likely didn’t get that marriage of flavours that is so key to an amazing, flavourful soup. So 45 minutes is key to making this soup (or any soup) to the next level. Pop the lid on, simmer, and let those ingredients do their thing.
Why you’ll love this vegan corn chowder recipe:
This creamy vegan corn chowder is one that I’m sure you’ll love. Why?
- You can whip up this yummy soup in less than an hour
- It’s super creamy, but dairy-free
- Perfect for the whole family – vegans and meat-eaters alike
- It’s perfect for weekly meal-prep or a meal that can be put together quickly for dinner
- This soup is hearty and meat-like, but without the meat
- Incredibly comforting for those cold winter nights/days
How to really nail this Vegan Corn Chowder recipe
Some quick and easy tips for really making this vegan corn chowder the best it can be:
- Be patient when cooking down the onions and garlic, you want to build as much flavour as possible here
- Don’t skimp out on the chipotle flavour (I used Field Roast Mexican Sausages)
- Use fresh corn if you can, this will be helpful in achieving that buttery, starchy flavour
Imagine all your childhood dreams in cream of corn or corn chowder soup but turned up for adults, but it’s still perfect for kids, so don’t get it twisted! This comforting bowl of goodness is loaded with vegetables and vegan sausage to really fill you up, but also give you that hardiness you crave with a soup.
Other soup recipes you’ll love
- Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Spinach & Mushroom Gnocchi Soup
- Orzo Vegetable Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet white onion fine-medium chop
- 4 clove garlic finely chopped
- season to taste
- 1/2 cup green onion roughly chopped
- 2 cups baby potatoes halved
- 2 tbsp. vegan stock paste optional
- 2 heaped tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 package Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage roughly chop with a cooking spoon
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups fresh corn
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock - do not use vegetable stock if using stock paste
- Preheat a large pot on medium-high heat for 30 seconds before adding olive oil. Let the olive oil heat till the oil develops swirls, then add your onion and garlic to the pot. Stir the onions and garlic to avoid burning then cook on medium heat for around 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and a bit golden.
- Now add your salt, pepper and green onions to the pot and stir till combined, cook for around 1 minute.
- Now, toss in your potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes. Throw in your stock paste and nutritional yeast, stir till all the potatoes are well coated.
- Cook for a few more minutes before adding your sausage and lemon. Using your wooden spoon, break apart the sausage and stir around to incorporate into the potatoes. Let everything get golden before adding the almond milk and fresh thyme. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Now add your corn and water or vegetable stock, stir the soup mixture well and increase heat to high to bring mixture to a boil, once boiling reduce heat to low and simmer mixture for 30 minutes to until potatoes are cooked till soft (use a fork to test).
- Remove thyme sprigs before serving. I suggest serving this beauty hot (not too hot)! It needs no additions as it’s just that perfect on its own.