This Vegetarian Breakfast Pizza is easy-to-make and oh so delicious and it’s basically avocado toast but on pizza. You cannot go wrong with this marriage! The best part? This pizza is made with a versatile honey dough that you can use for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Get creative!
Why you’ll love this Vegetarian Breakfast Pizza:
- A unique breakfast alternative
- Vegetarian friendly
- Made with a versatile dough that can be used for any pizza recipe
What makes this honey dough so magical?
The key ingredient to the honey dough in this Vegetarian Breakfast Pizza is well, honey! Duh! For this recipe, I love the sweetness that honey adds to the dough as it makes it feel more like a breakfast recipe versus just any plain ol’ pizza dough. I use BeeMaid’s Liquid Honey anytime I want to add some sweetness to a recipe. Yes, surprise! I don’t eat 100% vegan. I eat what my body loves and needs, and sometimes that means I cheat. However, you can totally make this dough without the honey or adding maple syrup.
Looking for other breakfast recipes? Try this bagel sandwich recipe.
BeeMaid honey is made by Canadian beekeepers. They are owned by a cooperative of over 300 beekeepers across Western Canada, which makes me feel really good about where it’s coming from and who I’m supporting when I use it.
How do you make the vegetarian honey dough?
Into a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oil, and honey. Then set it aside. Next, into another large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the water mixture and stir until it forms a soft-ball of goodness. Knead the dough for about 4-minutes on a well-floured surface.
Tip: Have some extra flour nearby as you may need to add more flour to your surface as you knead
Place the dough into a clean and lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm and humid place for about 1 hour until it at least doubles in size. Some options for a warm place are your microwave with a hot glass of water next to it, or preheat your oven to really low (200 degrees or lower) and place the bowl in there.
Once the dough is ready, punch a hole into the dough and remove it from the bowl.
How do you knead pizza dough?
Use a counter or tabletop that allows you to extend your arms to knead the dough while not making you hunch over the table because you’ll need and want to do this for 4 minutes straight at least.
On your floured surface, begin kneading the dough by pushing it down and then outward, only using the heels of your hands. Fold the dough in half toward you and press down. Then use your hands again to push down and outward. Lengthening and stretching the strands of gluten and dough fibers. Turn the dough about 45 degrees and knead again with the heels. Continue this process.
Personalize your breakfast pizza
The best part of this Vegetarian Breakfast Pizza recipe is that you can make it your own. I made it with avocado, tomato, vegan cheese, and arugula. However, you could add any veggies that your heart desires. You can even make a sweeter pizza by using fruit and your favorite spread like peanut butter. Get creative. This is also a great kids recipe because they can make their own and get involved in the kitchen.
Other vegetarian recipes you’ll love:
- Creamy Mushroom Pastry Bites
- One Bowl Vanilla Honey Cake
- Whipped Cashew Ricotta & Honey Toast
- Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Vegetarian Breakfast Pizza
For the dough:
For the toppings, as desired, for three pizzas:
- tomato thinly sliced, ripe and lightly salted
- fresh thyme finely chopped
- vegan mozzarella or regular mozzarella
- avocado thinly sliced
- fresh arugula
- Bee Maid Honey
For the dough:
- Into a large mixing bowl, combine the water, oil, and honey. Set it aside.
- Into a large mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the water mixture and stir until it forms a soft-ball. Knead the dough for about 4 minutes on a well-floured surface.
- Place the dough in a clean and lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm and humid place for about 1 hour or until it at least doubles in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch a hole into the dough and remove from the bowl.
To cook the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 525F – don’t freak – this will help the pizza be perfect, crunchy and cooked throughout!
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough – to around ¼ to 1/8 of an inch thick. Make sure your surface is well floured to avoid the dough sticking. Transfer the dough to a parchment lined baking sheet or preheated pizza stone. Now, add the ingredients above in order as listed. Do not add the arugula or avocado or honey – we will save that for last!
- Brush the crust with olive oil before baking (optional).
- Bake for around 12-14 minutes, flipping baking sheet halfway through. Keep an eye on the crust, you want it to be golden, not burnt!
- Before enjoying add a generous amount of honey, avocado and arugula. Enjoy this with eggs (if Veggie opt for our Tofu Sramble!) and a delicious coffee!