Greek Potato Salad
This Greek potato salad is the perfect spin on a traditional potato salad that’s perfect for summer. For me, potato salad screams summer barbecues and potlucks, but everyone is used to using the same old, traditional potato salad recipe. I wanted to do things a little different this time so I created my own Greek spin on potato salad. I hope you like this!
Why you’ll love this Greek potato salad:
- Short Prep Time: You can prep this recipe in only 10 minutes. It’s great for those days that you’re just too busy
- BBQ Food: This salad makes the perfect side dish to your summer BBQ or picnic
- Flavorful: I love the addition of garlic and oregano spices that give this salad a twist in flavor you’re not used to with potato salad
- Easy: This is a pretty simple, standard recipe but that is nothing short than amazing. Any novice cook can pull this salad off!
Here are the key ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious Greek potato salad:
Garlic Powder: Who doesn’t love garlic? It has so many great health benefits on top of the amazing flavor it adds to dishes.
Umami Blend: The Simply Organic Umami Blend is one of my go-tos in my kitchen. It’s rich, earthy, and savory, and features porcini and shiitake mushrooms complimented with onion, mustard, thyme and a hint of chili pepper spice. Seriously adds so much delicious flavor to any recipe!
Other Spices: The spices I’ve added into this salad are what really elevate it and make it Greek! I used oregano, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and umami spice. All from my friends at Simply Organic who create amazing, quality spices for cooking. Oregano is classic in Greek dishes and salads so, in combination with the other spices and lemon, I really find it gives that Greek pop of flavor you want.
Potatoes: I used red and fingerling potatoes here but feel free to use whatever your heart desires, just make sure you cut them up to be bite-size and that they are boiled to perfection because nobody wants hard or crunchy potatoes in their Greek potato salad!
Lemon: Instead of vinegar I used lemon in this recipe to really give a burst of flavor, and because lemon pairs so nicely with the spices in this recipe. If you aren’t a lemon fan or don’t have any lemons, vinegar still works great for this recipe.
How to make Greek potato salad:
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. Wash and halve your potatoes and cook until fork-tender.
3. While your potatoes cook, prepare the dressing by adding the oil, lemon, herbs (apart from the rosemary) and spices to a small bowl and whisk till combined.
4. Once the potatoes are cooked, strain them and add them to a large mixing bowl. While hot, toss the potatoes with the dressing, green onions, feta, and rosemary. Enjoy immediately or as needed but I highly recommend letting the flavor marry by adding the dressing while the potatoes are still hot.
Expert Tips & FAQ:
What kind of potatoes should I use? Waxy potatoes are best for potato salad. Look for New, Red Bill, Kennebec or fingerling potatoes at the grocery store (or similar). In between varieties like Yukon Gold can also work too.
Lemon: If you don’t have lemon, use any vinegar you have on hand.
Storage: The finished salad lasts up to 7-10 days in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container. If you make the dressing ahead of time, I suggest storing it in the fridge in a sealed jar. It should last up to 2-weeks.
Other recipes you’ll love:
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Greek Potato Salad
- 40 mini potatoes I used red and fingerling, halved
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. oregano spice
- 1 tbsp. Umami Spice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan or regular feta crumbled or cubed
- 1 tsp rosemary spice chopped
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Wash and halve your potatoes and cook until fork-tender.
- While your potatoes cook, prepare the dressing by adding the oil, lemon, herbs (apart from the rosemary) and spices to a small bowl and whisk till combined.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, strain them and add them to a large mixing bowl. While hot, toss the potatoes with the dressing, green onions, feta, and rosemary.
- Enjoy immediately or as needed but I highly recommend letting the flavor marry by adding the dressing while the potatoes are still hot.