Who doesn’t love an easy to whip up breakfast that feels like a gourmet brunch you’d get out at a restaurant? This Blueberry Chocolate Pancake Skillet is exactly that. Despite breakfast being such an important meal, we often are on-the-go and either skip it or make something super disappointing (and not filling or healthy) like a piece of toast. Now this vegan blueberry pancakes recipe isn’t necessarily healthy. It does have chocolate in the name after all! However, it is so satisfying and great for a weekend breakfast treat, or for a fun breakfast to make for your family.
Why you’ll love these Vegan Blueberry Pancakes:
- It’s quick & easy – only taking 35 minutes to prepare
- It’s gluten-friendly & vegan
- Gourmet taste without the hassle (or price tag of eating out)
- Kid-friendly – they’ll eat these babies up
- Made with ingredients we all have in our cupboards
- Great to make-ahead and heat up the next day
- No mess or fuss like your traditional pancakes
Not your average flour
For this vegan blueberry pancakes recipe, you’ll notice that I used a different kind of flour than you may be used to. I used Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour. What’s great about this flour is not only is it gluten-free, and vegan-friendly, but it’s the perfect flour for grain-free recipes like this skillet. This flour is a unique blend of almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, and tapioca flour. This flour can be used in any of your baking or cooking instead of all-purpose flour such as pizza dough, to muffins, to this yummy Blueberry Chocolate Pancake Skillet made in a cast iron pan right in your oven.
How to make this Pancake Skillet
This pancake skillet is so easy to make. What I love is that you can mix up the ingredients in your bowls (one for dry ingredients, one for wet, then mix together), and instead of having to stand over your stove making pancakes for a group or your family, you can just toss it into your cast iron pan and throw it into the oven. When it’s done, you can enjoy it just like a pizza. It’s easy, it looks impressive, and it tastes damn good.
If you are a traditional pancake or waffle lover or don’t have a cast-iron pan, you can use this batter to make whatever you wish.
Other breakfast recipes you’ll love:
Vegan Blueberry Pancake Skillet with Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375F and set a large cast-iron skillet aside.
- To a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a whisk till well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- Prepare vegan eggs as instructed and transfer to a medium-sized bowl. To the bowl, add the dairy-free milk, coconut milk, maple syrup or vanilla. Whisk till well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir till there are no large flour clumps.
- Lightly butter or grease the cast iron skillet. Transfer the batter to the skillet and top with the wild blueberries.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before topping with maple syrup and banana.