This mashed parsnips recipe with potatoes is the perfect side dish this holiday season. It has a special twist that you may not expect to find with the combination of savory rosemary and sweet and warming vanilla. This recipe will seriously be your new go-to side dish not just at Christmas dinner but beyond. It’s healthy, easy, and omg YUM!
Why you’ll love this mashed parsnips recipe:
- Quick: Make them in just 30-minutes
- Creative: A unique spin on typical mashed potatoes we eat so much of at any holiday dinner
- Surprise Twist: Made with a surprise hint of vanilla
Parsnips: For this mashed parsnips recipe, I used parsnips, which are definitely underrated. Parsnips are closely related to carrots and all belong to one big family. Both parsnips and carrots have a unique sweetness about them. In fact, parsnip was actually used as a pre-cane sugar sweetener in Europe. Parsnips are packed with essential nutrients, they’re rich in antioxidants, high in fiber, and loaded with vitamin C which is great for your immune system.
Vanilla: For this mashed parsnips recipe, I used Simply Organic Pure Vanilla for that vanilla flavor. Using good quality, pure vanilla is so important in recipes. I CAN definitely notice the difference between the real thing and the other stuff. Simply Organic’s Pure Vanilla Extract is usually my go-to. They make high-quality products, and their vanilla is awesome in recipes like this one. Their vanilla has a rich, naturally sweet, buttery smooth flavor. It is made from premium Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans and has no GMOs, sugar, or fake color or flavor.
With every quality product, I always think about where it comes from. What you may not know about the vanilla industry is that in recent years, extreme volatility in the market has caused many problems for farmers, threatening their livelihoods for their families and communities. To combat this, Simply Organic has joined a group of companies working with nonprofit organizations and the local vanilla industry. This group has relationships with small farmers who grow vanilla and ensures they are grown and handled the right way, using ethical and sustainable practices. So not only does their vanilla taste great, but I can also feel confident about where it’s coming from too!
How do you make parsnip mash?
This vegan parsnip mash dish is simple. Here is how you whip it up for dinner tonight:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and generously season with salt
- Boil/cook the parsnips and potatoes till tender. Around 15- 20 minutes
- Transfer them to a high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients and blend till smooth
- To serve, top with reserved butter, oil and fresh herbs
- That’s it! Enjoy 🙂
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Can I use parsnips instead of potatoes? Absolutely. Parsnips have a potato-like consistency but a bit of an earthy flavor. They also pack more nutritional value than the average potato.
Do you need to boil parsnips? Yes. If your plan is to mash parsnips then you’ll want to boil them. However, you can also just roast and enjoy as well.
Do parsnips taste like potatoes? Parsnips are slightly more earthy than potatoes but overall are a fantastic swap.
Can you freeze mashed parsnips? Yes! This can be a great way to meal prep. Just let them cool, put them in a sealed container, and freeze them.
Can you mash parsnips with potatoes? Yep! If you don’t want to commit to solely potatoes in a mash, swap some for parsnips.
More holiday side dishes you’ll love:
- Roasted Potato Salad
- Asparagus & Sweet Potato Fries
- Vegan Mashed Cauliflower
- Vegetarian Creamed Corn Recipe
For more eBooks:
If you want more deliciousness at the click of your finger, be sure to check out FoodByMaria’s Newest Mini Cookbooks. Limited time offer of 3 for $20USD.
For more Greek Recipes:
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.
Mashed Parsnip Recipe with Rosemary + Vanilla
- 7 parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 large yellow potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegan or regular butter + 1 tbsp. for topping
- 1 tbsp. olive oil + 1 tsp for topping
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary chopped + 1 tsp for toppong
- 3 tbsp. fresh mint chopped + a few fresh pieces for topping
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp. Simply Organic Vanilla
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and generously season with salt.
- Boil/cook the parsnips and potatoes till tender. Around 15- 20 minutes.
- Transfer them to a high-speed blender with the remaining ingredients and blend till smooth.
- To serve, top with reserved butter, oil and fresh herbs!