This delicious, smoky BBQ tempeh bowl is exactly what you need in your life. It’s the perfect healthy bowl to prep for lunches, and it takes no time to make. There’s probably nothing I like more than a simple lunch that I can make ahead and put together fresh when I’m busy working away during the week or running around. Who’s with me?
Why you’ll love this BBQ tempeh bowl:
Smoky: I love the smoky BBQ flavor that comes through in this bowl. It’s perfect for summer
Easy: Made in just 30-minute, this bowl is easy peasy!
Versatile: Add in your fav veggies to switch things up with this bowl. You can also swap out the grain to quinoa or whatever you like
There are simple ingredients that go into this BBQ tempeh bowl, let’s talk about a few of them:
Tempeh: A great meat substitute for vegan and vegetarians, tempeh is made from fermented soybeans, and like most fermented foods, that means it’s super nutrient-dense. Tempeh is also high in protein and various vitamins and minerals too!
BBQ Sauce: Use whatever your fav BBQ sauce is here or make your own, I used Cranberry BBQ Sauce because it’s one of my go-to’s in my fridge.
Veggies: Swap out the veggies and lettuce type in this bowl to whatever you have on hand or whatever you like. You can’t mess this up!
How to make this BBQ tempeh bowl:
1. Prep all your bowl ingredients and set them aside.
2. Preheat a large pan on medium-high heat and gently spray with cooking oil.
3. Place the unseasoned, cut tempeh into the pan, and cook for around 3-4 minutes on each side. Check often to avoid burning. Before flipping the tempeh, dust each piece with salt and pepper.
4. Prepare the BBQ sauce by following the linked blog post instructions (omit the beans) and set aside.
5. Once the tempeh is cooked on both sides and is crispy cover them all with the BBQ sauce and reduce till everything is completely coated and saturated in the BBQ sauce.
6. Assemble bowls by starting with the salad ingredients and finish with the Tempeh!
Expert Tips & FAQ:
Tempeh: If you are not a fan of tempeh, you can use Tofu or any protein of your choice. Beans work perfectly here as well!
Toppings: Have fun with the toppings, there is no right or wrong way to do this!
Assembly: To avoid wilting your bowl toppings too much, I suggest letting your Tempeh cool just a bit before putting everything together.
If you want more Greek Recipes, check out our Free Greek Recipe Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check it out here.
For more amazing recipes:
Loved this recipe? Good! We can give you access to Maria’s most famous recipes, check out our Top Ten Recipes Mini Cookbook! We also have an incredible APP for you to access at all times (yes, online and offline) all our recipes with a click of your finger – check in out here.